Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife and I were going out to eat last night and she starts to tell me about a coworker who's wife had just totaled his car that he had bought new a month ago. Granted it wasn't a GTO, thank god. My wife told her friend (thats why I'll never drive my husbands GTO ever). I'm sitting there taking this all in and thinking, okay thats one less thing to have me worry about once I get the car. She's a very good driver, but very intimidated by the power and the fact that it's my car and she does not want to put a mark on it. I had mentioned to her months ago that she will have a ball driving the car once she got used to it, but I now know why she didn't respond when I said that. Are most women like this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Reno'sGoat said:
....She's a very good driver, but very intimidated by the power and the fact that it's my car and she does not want to put a mark on it. I had mentioned to her months ago that she will have a ball driving the car once she got used to it, but I now know why she didn't respond when I said that. Are most women like this?
No. We're not. :) It sounds like your wife knows how important your GTO is to you and could never forgive herself if somehow something happened to it while she was behind the wheel (her fault or not).

Just leave her the keys one day when you're not around, and ask her to take the car to get gas or something while you're out. Trust me. She'll be grinnin' when you get back, and there shouldn't be any problem with her not wanting to drive it any more. The power's not intimidating -- it's intoxicating! :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
We have been members of the Porsche Club of America since 1978. Autocrossing initially attracted me. My wife would travel with me to events, but, before long, she found watching to be pretty boring. So I coaxed her into driving. Soon she was nearly as fanatical as me and darned good as well. Many guys found that she was faster than them, sometimes with a less powerful car.

Eventually we moved on to doing track events. She has driven at Watkins Glen, Road America, Blackhawk, Putnam Park, Mid-Ohio, Grattan, and Gingerman. Here again she was a very good driver. Our first track car was a 944, the second one an E-Production 356 race car and our third was a 400hp 911 Turbo. So it's not likely she would be intimidated by the GTO

However, she did not want to drive the GTO when we first acquired it. That feeling was based on driving some of the C5's we have had. She is petite and could never find a comfortable driving position. Since the GTO was a muscle car with a similar drivertrain to the Vette's, she had some initial bias.

I kept telling her that it was just a car and drive it so she could get used to it. Wasn't long before the ol' GTO was racking up wifey miles. She now really likes it as it fits her well, shifts easily and is very comfortable.

Some things die hard. She still prefers her Boxster S. While the GTO fits her better than the Vette's, the Boxster is the favorite Porsche of all of the ones we have owned.

If you get your wife to drive it, she will like it.

One advantage of having a wife who competes with your cars is that when I would mention that I wanted to do some modification, she would ask if it would make the car faster. When I said yes, she would say "OK". Now you see why I have been married to her for nearly 37 years.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm just glad my husband is cautious about driving my GTO - if he takes it out, I know he'll treat her right! And I love the powerrrrr! :D

I've driven 6 cylinder FWD in the past so this was definately a jump up in speed, handling and comfort. GTO fits me great.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Reno'sGoat said:
So my wife and I were going out to eat last night and she starts to tell me about a coworker who's wife had just totaled his car that he had bought new a month ago. Granted it wasn't a GTO, thank god. My wife told her friend (thats why I'll never drive my husbands GTO ever). I'm sitting there taking this all in and thinking, okay thats one less thing to have me worry about once I get the car. She's a very good driver, but very intimidated by the power and the fact that it's my car and she does not want to put a mark on it. I had mentioned to her months ago that she will have a ball driving the car once she got used to it, but I now know why she didn't respond when I said that. Are most women like this?
Most women? I don't know. I know I LOVE my GOAT and LUST the power ;) My husband rarely gets the keys away from me, and when we go anywhere in it, I drive. I agree, let her drive it a few times and have her get on it to feel how the car is going to respond and I bet you will have to ride right seat a while!

·
Registered
98 Posts
My wife won't drive mine either.

I didn't have to tell her anything. It's our car, and she knows it, but she doesn't like manual shifting. She is in love w/her 96 Legacy/Outback. She can have that. I told her she should try to test drive a GTO w/auto, she really doesn't want to.
When I asked her which car she wanted, (Bar None,) it took her several months to pick out what she wanted. I found a good deal, and we got it. I later saw the GTO on the internet, and that was what I wanted. We could swing the deal @ the stealership, and we got it.
I got some mods w/my annual bonus from work, and today we put new wheels/tires on her car w/the tax refund. Looks like I'll be doing the front struts and brakes, including new rotors real soon also.
See, everything works out. My wife loves me, and she's a keeper. She even told me I could drag race the goat! I have yet to tell her how much it will cost to do that and keep the car reliable for daily driving. :D This'll work out too.

Happy Motoring,

Maximental

·
Registered
674 Posts
When I started autocrossing with my 944S2 a few years ago I got my wife to try it. She would take the Porsche and I would take the RX7 convertible so we wouldnt be in the same class. She autocrossed when she was pregnant.

When I was reading Panorama one evening I read out loud an ad for a chip for the S2. My wife replied "you cant handle the 208 hp the car has now".

The S2 was stolen and replaced by my 93 Z28. She didnt like the way the car felt, thought it was too stiff for her back, and too heavy with the 275s all around.

She drove the GTO a few times, and likes it better than the Z28 because the shifter is a little further forward.

If the car gets damaged when she is driving it, who shives a git, as long as she is ok. it is just a car.

She drives it whenever she feels like it. she drives the new (for us) S2, and hopefully will DE the S2 with me.

I consider myself very very lucky to have been fortunate enough to marry my wife. I am glad she appreciates the feel/thrill of a nice car.

A few years ago she was taking some classes over the summer to get the "30 over her masters". One day took a classmate to lunch in a red 944S2, the next day in a legend coupe, the next day in a blue RX7 convertible. One was nicer than the next. The classmate asked if I was in the car biz. "no, these are just his toys, he take the train in to work every day..." That summer I seemed to get the keys to the convertible on the overcast days!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sylvia Holden said:
No. We're not. :) It sounds like your wife knows how important your GTO is to you and could never forgive herself if somehow something happened to it while she was behind the wheel (her fault or not).

Just leave her the keys one day when you're not around, and ask her to take the car to get gas or something while you're out. Trust me. She'll be grinnin' when you get back, and there shouldn't be any problem with her not wanting to drive it any more. The power's not intimidating -- it's intoxicating! :D
Sylvia Holden I think your absolutely right, she did mention that she might never forgive herself if she were driving and had an accident. But I told her if that happened I would only be concerned about her well being, not the car, cause it can be replaced and she can't. She's a keeper also. She has been all for me getting the car from the begining and is giving me her bonus money(with out me asking) to help with the down payment. Hows that for an awesome wife.

·
Registered
71 Posts
No Not all women are like that but most women do care about their significant other's passion. My Boyfriend and i share the GTO, it's actually considered mine. we are into the same things and we both enjoy our toys, racing and ect... we joke about what car or truck belongs to who but we know that we never want to damage any of the vehicles since we are so passionate about them. more then likely she doesn't want to live with a burden if anything were to happen to your GTO and she was driving it. i speak from experience since i was hit by a trash truck 12 days after we picked mine up. i am still very upset over this even though it was not my fault. i feel as if there was something i could do different but i we have been over it many times and there is nothing i could have done differently in the situation. maybe you can take her to a secluded area that she could drive it at and not be as worried, that's if you want her to drive it. Good luck. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.