Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My power steering pump recently went out on my 2004 and I was wondering if any LS1 pump would work. I tried running a search for this question but could not find any similar questions. Not too worried about sticking with the clear reservoir I just want to make sure the fitment was the same. Thanks for the help in advanced.

Thanks,
Troy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BINGO!

I really don't understand why some questions are asked when the answer is so simple.
Its not that simple. A GTO had a remote transparent reservoir and a z28 has a black reservoir mounted to the pump itself so the part numbers wouldn't even be the same if it did match up. So no bingo!

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
Its not that simple. A GTO had a remote transparent reservoir and a z28 has a black reservoir mounted to the pump itself so the part numbers wouldn't even be the same if it did match up. So no bingo!
Incorrect!

What is so hard for you to drive to a local auto parts store, ask for both pumps and compare the two? It's that simple and not rocket science at all. Like Rukee said, why not just put the correct pump on and not worry if one for a different car will fit or not?

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Incorrect!

What is so hard for you to drive to a local auto parts store, ask for both pumps and compare the two? It's that simple and not rocket science at all. Like Rukee said, why not just put the correct pump on and not worry if one for a different car will fit or not?
My kids call me: Sir. PointsOutTheObviousAlot. :lol::cheers:seeya:

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
ctoerther, tell me what I'm missing here. There has to be a reason why you don't want to buy the OEM 2004 GTO pump. Do you already have or have access to one of the other mentioned pumps?

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
ctoerther, tell me what I'm missing here. There has to be a reason why you don't want to buy the OEM 2004 GTO pump. Do you already have or have access to one of the other mentioned pumps?
Probably because the factory pump is really expensive, and the others are cheaper, so he asked the question. Or, maybe he can pull one at the junkyard. I have been there, had a part they wanted $300 for and really wanted to know if I could get one off a truck or something. Like the headlight module:cheers on my Corvette, $300, got 1 used off ebay for $50.

·
Registered
91 Posts
the basic pump design is the same all late module GM pumps are derived from the same design except with hydro brakes. However the line connections, fluid resviors, power steerring effort percentage, flow rate, clocking and mounting, and pressure switch could be configured different.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
the basic pump design is the same all late module GM pumps are derived from the same design except with hydro brakes. However the line connections, fluid resviors, power steerring effort percentage, flow rate, clocking and mounting, and pressure switch could be configured different.
What other kind of brakes are used on regular automobiles?

Larry

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I went on GM parts house, GTO pump is over $450 while Camaro one is only $200 something... thats a joke. I'd find a used on at FParts or Cleveland Pick-A-Part. I haven't really seen threads about them failing so finding a used on should be OK.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Those of you with 2004s are lucky in this area. GM used a pump that was basically an existing off the shelf item on them. The 2005-2006 ps pump is unique to the GTO and way more expensive.
2004 PONTIAC GTO Power Steering Pump

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Probably because the factory pump is really expensive, and the others are cheaper, so he asked the question. Or, maybe he can pull one at the junkyard. I have been there, had a part they wanted $300 for and really wanted to know if I could get one off a truck or something. Like the headlight module:cheers on my Corvette, $300, got 1 used off ebay for $50.
Right on! My father in law is a GM parts dealer and he sourced a new GTO pump at $700 with a GM employee discount. And re-mans are almost impossible to find. I went to autozone/advanced/ect and they cant even order re-mans so its been quite the task to hunt down a actual GTO power steering pump. That's why I'm looking for a general LS1 pump. Thanks for all the help... for the people that were actually helpful.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I wonder if the `04 pump will work on the `05-06 GTOs??
What's strange is that the steering rack seems to be the same for all three years but the 04 pump is unique to the 04.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I'd start contacting people that are parting them out, find the right guy and you might be able to find one cheap. I just tried searching all of Craigslist, but no luck.
I wonder if they changed all the brackets from 04 to 05, or just the pump and lines?
Good luck, not a fun place to be. Sometimes, you just pay the price and press on with life.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
I wonder if the `04 pump will work on the `05-06 GTOs??
Or the other way around. The 05-06 pump is cheaper than the 04 at $241. I know the 05+ has a larger pulley than the 04 thats about it. I don't know any other details on it.

Some other reasons why the GTO's pump might be more expensive because it suppose to have variable ratio steering.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts