Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of rwd trucks that are being junked or parted out.

Maybe a Ford 9" ? I watched a video on how to shorten one, but I don't know if I'd have to shorten it. Maybe make it longer?

I just don't know much about America Cars.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
I see a lot of rwd trucks that are being junked or parted out.

Maybe a Ford 9" ? I watched a video on how to shorten one, but I don't know if I'd have to shorten it. Maybe make it longer?

I just don't know much about America Cars.

Thanks
Most likely not. Don't most trucks use leaf springs, or has that changed? A-body cars use coil springs.

Your control arm and spring mount locations will be completely different and even pinion angles could be different. You can cut down a rear end, but not something the average guy would do or have the tools to do so.

It might be possible to get a bare aftermarket rear axle set-up to fit the A-body rear suspension and then swap the guts from a donor over to the bare housing. I used a Quick Performance Ford 9" axle housing set-up for an A-body ( 1968 Lemans) which included the axles (I got 31 spline axles, but I think stock on most 9" is 28), heavy duty wheel bearings, and got the heavier axle tubes. I also purchased the 11" drum brake kit, but you might be able to retro fit a disc brake set-up pulled from a junk yard. Then you need the front carrier complete from a Ford 9" that uses the same splined axles as the ones you have. That should for the most part be what you need. Never done this, so don't hold me to it word for word - just a possibilty that may work.

The 12-bolt would require more work as you have to set up the gears as they do not have a removeable third member/carrier.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not a Ford expert but the 28 spline is what I have in my 67 Cougar with 289. I have been told by the Ford guys its not a drag racing axle. While its an upgrade for a Ford going from 8" 28 spline to a 9" 28 spline cause the price is not great and you can still find them on Craigs list that are a quick swap. What the Ford guys say about the 28 spline is the same complaint about the BOP stock rear not a heavy-duty setup. The 31 spline is what built the reputation of the Ford 9.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most likely not. Don't most trucks use leaf springs, or has that changed? A-body cars use coil springs.

Your control arm and spring mount locations will be completely different and even pinion angles could be different. You can cut down a rear end, but not something the average guy would do or have the tools to do so.

It might be possible to get a bare aftermarket rear axle set-up to fit the A-body rear suspension and then swap the guts from a donor over to the bare housing. I used a Quick Performance Ford 9" axle housing set-up for an A-body ( 1968 Lemans) which included the axles (I got 31 spline axles, but I think stock on most 9" is 28), heavy duty wheel bearings, and got the heavier axle tubes. I also purchased the 11" drum brake kit, but you might be able to retro fit a disc brake set-up pulled from a junk yard. Then you need the front carrier complete from a Ford 9" that uses the same splined axles as the ones you have. That should for the most part be what you need. Never done this, so don't hold me to it word for word - just a possibilty that may work.

The 12-bolt would require more work as you have to set up the gears as they do not have a removeable third member/carrier.
Thanks. I know it is 31 splines and I did watch a guy shorten a 9" and

The 12-bolt would require more work as you have to set up the gears as they do not have a

Thanks, the 9" did say it had 31 splines. That's why I was wondering if it could fit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts