Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking, with the current heads and uppers on the LS1, with simple things such as Cam, you could have over 500 ponies....wouldn't the few hundred dollars added to the 04 be better than the few thousand more for the 05? yeah yeah, u get functional ram air, but the intake breathes pretty well with the right filter (K&N...**cough cough**) Exactly what makes the LS2? Different uppers, lowers...what?

·
Registered
51 Posts
A modded LS1 will have warranty issues if you run into a problem, where as a stock LS2 will still have full warranty coverage.

I am not sure what all of the changes that went into the LS2, but I believe it has more displacement… 6.0L

·
Registered
590 Posts
not to beat up the '05, but........

i like the true dual, on the left.. kind of unique, like the car in totale

everyone's got duals, one or two on each side, unless your a C5 with centered mounted, or SLP's CME

regarding hood..... heard both it was functional and wasn't, so ???

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Neo-GTO said:
A modded LS1 will have warranty issues if you run into a problem, where as a stock LS2 will still have full warranty coverage.

I am not sure what all of the changes that went into the LS2, but I believe it has more displacement… 6.0L
my dealer told me that if i use gm parts for the mods it doesn't void the warranty, yeah it costs more, but it's warrantied

·
Registered
159 Posts
05 will just have little improvements to make it a cooler car... otherwise it is the same car as the 04 besides the engine... But a h/c will fix that

·
Registered
63 Posts
Someone had posted about a dealer upgrade for the 2005 hood for the last 2004's. Is that true?

If so how much does it cost?
2004 @ $25K is a great deal.
2005 @ $33K with LS-2 ,larger brakes, dual exaust, hood and a few other goodies.
$8K seems alot to go 0-60 .04 faster and to stop 10 to 12 feet shorter.
I think getting the 2004 and put some good springs, stainless brake lines and a HP chip would come pretty close in performance for a lot less.

GTO-TO-GO

·
Registered
11 Posts
lambertgoat said:
my dealer told me that if i use gm parts for the mods it doesn't void the warranty, yeah it costs more, but it's warrantied
Um, and you believed a stealership? :shutme

A dealer will try to get out of most warranty repairs that involve any aftermarket parts. It doesn't matter weather you buy GM performance parts, they are still "aftermarket". If you put a H/C package on, and something goes wrong, do you really think you'll be able to say, "Well, these are GM parts, so you need to cover it"? It won't work. Granted, w/the Magnuson-Moss act, it makes it tougher for a dealer to deny your claim, but not that tough.

Your best bet is to do mild mods that can't/won't affect anything, (ie : catback, etc), then once the warranty is out, do a H/C or S/C.

Bottom Line, and a simple rule to live by -- If you wanna pay, you gotta pay. If you can't afford for something not to be covered and money having to come out of your own pocket, don't to that particular mod.

·
Registered
11 Posts
GTO-TO-GO said:
I think getting the 2004 and put some good springs, stainless brake lines and a HP chip would come pretty close in performance for a lot less.

GTO-TO-GO
I may be mistaken, but I don't believe there are any chips. I think is it the same as most LS1/LS6 vehicles : You will need to use LS1-Edit or simliar programmer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
IwantmyGoat said:
Um, and you believed a stealership? :shutme

A dealer will try to get out of most warranty repairs that involve any aftermarket parts. It doesn't matter weather you buy GM performance parts, they are still "aftermarket". If you put a H/C package on, and something goes wrong, do you really think you'll be able to say, "Well, these are GM parts, so you need to cover it"? It won't work. Granted, w/the Magnuson-Moss act, it makes it tougher for a dealer to deny your claim, but not that tough.

Your best bet is to do mild mods that can't/won't affect anything, (ie : catback, etc), then once the warranty is out, do a H/C or S/C.

Bottom Line, and a simple rule to live by -- If you wanna pay, you gotta pay. If you can't afford for something not to be covered and money having to come out of your own pocket, don't to that particular mod.

:agree never trust the stealership. However, I believe the warranty will be covered ONLY if the GM parts are installed by the dealer. If there is a failure on the dealer installed GM Part, the dealer cannot deny your claim for an improper installation.

They will deny your claim if it can be shown your vehicle was used for off road use (Racing) or when the failure shows it was caused by misuse or abuse (Excessive rpm, etc)

Also, any GM part which says "for off road use only" will void your warranty. Contact your zone rep for clarification and read the fine print on any GM performance parts you plan on buying.
:cheers

·
Registered
109 Posts
When I was looking to get an '04, everyone kept telling me to wait for the '05. I really couldn't see how 50hp and different brakes are worth the premium. To begin with, brakes are easy to replace and rarely need warranty work. The 50 extra hp could be made up for a coupld grand, but if you are a horsepower freak, then you would go FI or replace the heads and cam on either the LS1 or LS2 regardless. I just couldn't see that being worth $8000 more, but then again GM might be selling the '05 for $25k in a year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts