Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so iii had a friend come over with a torque wrench to properly torque the crank bolt, basically the way iii had jammed a wrench to keep the harmonic balancer from rotating while iii was REMOVING it did not work for keeping it from rotating while INSTALLING it.
My boy decided it was okay to spin the balancer clockwise (in order to get the wrench to lock in place) because the keyway was locked in.
The second pic is how it used to be, with the two holes directly on the bottom. First pic is how it is now, two holes at the teeth,
Im wondering hardddd about if this threw off the timing?
Should i turn the balancer counter clockwise back to its original position?
Or is it fine & im juss overthinking?

Vehicle brake Automotive tire Wood Bicycle part Motor vehicle

Wheel Automotive tire Tread Wood Motor vehicle

· Registered
1,340 Posts
Hey guys, so iii had a friend come over with a torque wrench to properly torque the crank bolt, basically the way iii had jammed a wrench to keep the harmonic balancer from rotating while iii was REMOVING it did not work for keeping it from rotating while INSTALLING it.
My boy decided it was okay to spin the balancer clockwise (in order to get the wrench to lock in place) because the keyway was locked in.
The second pic is how it used to be, with the two holes directly on the bottom. First pic is how it is now, two holes at the teeth,
Im wondering hardddd about if this threw off the timing?
Should i turn the balancer counter clockwise back to its original position?
Or is it fine & im juss overthinking?

View attachment 159589
View attachment 159590
It's a two-piece balancer. So, you're saying the outside spun while holding the inside. If so, that's what happens to them with age, get a new one from butler.

· Registered
493 Posts
Your explanation is a little vague. I gather that you were using a torque wrench on the crank bolt bringing the bolt to 160 foot pounds?

While unorthodox, the jerry-rigged holding device on the inner part of the balancer wouldn't have hurt it. As long as no holding force was applied to the outside ring the balancer should be good. If for some reason you can turn the outer ring on the inner then it is junk.

Most of us just clamp a pair of vice grips to the flexplate and let it bottom out on the passenger side bottom of the block. While 160 pounds seems like a lot of force, it really doesn't take much to hold the crank from turning. Just remember to unclamp the pliers or you can cause damage.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your explanation is a little vague. I gather that you were using a torque wrench on the crank bolt bringing the bolt to 160 foot pounds?

While unorthodox, the jerry-rigged holding device on the inner part of the balancer wouldn't have hurt it. As long as no holding force was applied to the outside ring the balancer should be good. If for some reason you can turn the outer ring on the inner then it is junk.

Most of us just clamp a pair of vice grips to the flexplate and let it bottom out on the passenger side bottom of the block. While 160 pounds seems like a lot of force, it really doesn't take much to hold the crank from turning. Just remember to unclamp the pliers or you can cause damage.
sorry guys iii knew this one would be funky to describe,
Just wondering if turning the whole harmonic balancer throws off the timing,
The outer ring & inner did not separate or turn separately.
We placed the balancer back on in the same position that it was removed, just used that Jerry rigged gold piece to turn the balancer clockwisein order to jam a wrench under, then we put the torque wrench on and torqued the bolt. Resulting in the first pic above ! 🙏🏽

· 64-67 Expert
9,664 Posts
????? How could turning the harmonic balancer throw off the timing? EVERY engine that runs has a harmonic balancer that turns thousands of times every minute. ????
Why is rotating the engine even a concern? Every engine that runs is rotating. What are you NOT telling us here???

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
????? How could turning the harmonic balancer throw off the timing? EVERY engine that runs has a harmonic balancer that turns thousands of times every minute. ????
Why is rotating the engine even a concern? Every engine that runs is rotating. What are you NOT telling us here???
myfault literally went from knowing nothing about engines to fixing up the 73 Pontiac wit a 69 428 swap lol

· Premium Member
3,219 Posts
What I got from it and maybe he's trying to ask is if he moved the outer ring throwing off the timing marks from the crank position...idk maybe I'm wrong...sure wouldn't be the first or last time.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Timing should not change, what would change would be where your timing mark is on the balancer. How exactly did it get in that position? They only go on one way.
we placed the balancer back on in the same position as the second picture above, and then spun it clockwise a lil over a quarters way, then torqued the crank bolt

· Registered
1,502 Posts
Seems like a lot of confusion here. The damper can only go on in one place on the crank due to the key way. Turning the damper while, on the crank, will turn over the entire engine. This will in no way affect the engine timing. The cam and crank are kept in time by the timing chain. Others my tell you different, but I wouldn't want to turn an engine over backwards but would only turn it over in the direction in which the engine runs. That being said, this really only matters if you were messing with the distributer too, or wanted to make sure that your #1 wire form the distributer goes to the #1 plug. Not a bad thing to check if you replaced the timing chain. Ensures you are not 180 degrees out on ignition timing.

· 64-67 Expert
9,664 Posts
Oh no was just wondering if turning the balancer would've somehow turned the actual timing chain & cause some kind of hiccup or something when starting back up lol
The balancer is connected to the crank, which is connected to the timing chain, which turns the camshaft while the engine runs. Every time you shut off the engine after it runs, it stops with the balancer in a different location than it was when you started it. The timing chain is supposed to turn when the balancer/crankshaft is turned....if the chain is connected. As stated, the ONLY worry would be if you had the distributor out of the engine. But you didn't say that you did.

· Registered
735 Posts
did you replace the key for the crankshaft keyway when you put the balancer back on?

the only way a balancer can spin WITHOUT spinning the crank is if no key was installed when you reinstalled. Like Jared said, there is only one way the dampener can fit on the crankshaft snout.

See the pic (different engine, but same idea showing the key).

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts