Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the stock windage tray bolts are listed as a 15 ft.lb. torque, but Butler's website lists it as 24 ft. lb. with Loctite. What is correct?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Unless you have a really good torque wrench that's been tested, 15 ft/lbs may be 18 ft/lbs. Mention that as after the first of the year, my 38 year old Craftsman clicker is going to the Sears Maintance depot, 3rd visit. Also have a 35 year old Craftsman beam type torque wrench and a dial type SnapOn, any guess to which one I trust?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for those specs. I should've went with a page I had on stock specs that said 15. I used Butlers website tech info that said 24 with Loctite. It seemed a bit much when I was torqueing and two of them acted like they weren't responding right. I backed it down to 22 and the torque wrench clicked. So, I have two at 24 and two at 22. But, I may have compromised the bolt. It felt like I was stretching it to the point of stripping or breaking. Now I'm not sure I will be able to remove, especially with red high temp Loctite. Why remove? I torqued all caps with ARP bolts to 100 ft. lb. and the main cap calls for 120. DANG!!

·
Banned
1,499 Posts
Unless you have a really good torque wrench that's been tested, 15 ft/lbs may be 18 ft/lbs. Mention that as after the first of the year, my 38 year old Craftsman clicker is going to the Sears Maintance depot, 3rd visit. Also have a 35 year old Craftsman beam type torque wrench and a dial type SnapOn, any guess to which one I trust?
I am going to guess the beam type.

Unless it is a torque critical component I don't bother, I never strip or snap bolts anymore during assembly.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I felt for something like that I should just use a ratchet to get the feeling for tightness. Now, I think I overdid it. You just don't have the same feel of tightness with the leverage of a torque wrench on some of the bolts.

·
Banned
1,499 Posts
I felt for something like that I should just use a ratchet to get the feeling for tightness. Now, I think I overdid it. You just don't have the same feel of tightness with the leverage of a torque wrench on some of the bolts.
Exactly, after years of wrenching you get to know the feel for each bolt size.
On something like an intake manifold I just pattern in 15 pound increments by feel then use the torque wrench for the final pass.

I watch the needle on the torque wrench to see how close I got to 30 when the bolt starts to turn.
I start with a stubby ratchet and move up to longer ones depending on bolt size.
A good way to learn is to tighten to lets say 30 by feel then check with a torque wrench to see how close you are.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heated the bolts lightly with a propane torch and they melted the Loctite and came right out. I re-tapped the holes and blew out to get any gunk out. Got a new set of grade 8 bolts, Loctite and tightened by hand what I thought felt good. Tried the torque wrench at 15, then 20 lbs. and it clicked. Heck with it. I know they felt good and tight, and they won't vibrate out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts