Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got a good used 3/4 length windage tray.
It seems to fit well.
But I cannot really see underneith it to check clearances.
How do I know once the motor heats up that it wont hit?
I know some things ya have to take on faith............
still................
ps, any idea on torq specs?

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
check clearances on each side and make them even spin the crank to make sure you have nothing rubbing and you should be good to go, it's always the little things you did'nt foresee that hold you up the longest, ehh Topkat, i spent three days tring to figure out how to get the trim bezels off my dash to put wood insert in

·
Super Moderator
5,782 Posts
Just got a good used 3/4 length windage tray.
It seems to fit well.
But I cannot really see underneith it to check clearances.
How do I know once the motor heats up that it wont hit?
I know some things ya have to take on faith............
still................
ps, any idea on torq specs?
If it's a stock crank and a stock Pontiac tray, you should be good. If you want to double-check for sure (always a good idea) and can't get in there to see/measure, then pull the tray off and rotate the crank by "eyeball" to all the positions where it looks like it will be closest to the tray, then stick a lump of modeling clay onto the tray and reinstall it. Take it back off and then measure the thickness of the clay where it got squished by the crank. You want 1/8" clearance, minimum - 1/4" is better.

As far as torque specs on the tray-to-main-cap bolts, my factory service manual doesn't list a spec - however those bolts are fairly small so I wouldn't attempt more than 25-30 lb. ft. and I'd for sure use new grade-8 bolts with lock-washers AND red loctite.

Bear

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice.
Crank and tray are stock.
I painted the inside of the tray and rotated it and it looked good.
but things do expand when heated........
Hmmmmmmm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts