Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 67 Goat.
I have the original oil pan.
How does the windage tray mount to the oil pan?
or does it?
I expected to see some studs or mounting tabs on the inside of the pan.
There are none.
What's the deal?
Thanks!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Factory gm had 2 different trays , 1 thin 1 thick , check for cracks , in addition a crank scraper will help quite a bit .

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The thing is totally missing.
How am I to know which I need?
It's a 67 400 HO
thanks

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Factory gm had 2 different trays , 1 thin 1 thick , check for cracks , in addition a crank scraper will help quite a bit .
ran a scraper on my dragster. left it off the first time i had the pan back off because i was having a hard time starting the bolts and got mad at it. didnt see any change. it was custom fit very tight clearance.:confused

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
I would run the factory full length tray. That's what comes on the '67 400. When you install it, it is very tricky to get the short segment of dipstick tube situated just right. It MUST be installed correctly. It goes on with the tray, and the tray holds it in place. Look at pictures, etc, whatever you need to do to get it right. Otherwise, you WILL be pulling the motor back out and taking the pan back off to correct your strange engine noise and dipstick issues!!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
+1 GeeTee you have to turn the lower tube as you align all four bolts, first time i mounted mine it dragged on the crank because the tube was not turned just right.

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Good advise guys and I thank you.
But, I thought the lower end of the dip stick tube was flush with the inner surface of the block??
ps. Is there an upper and a lower part to the tube on my 67 HO?
thank you again

·
Registered
3,931 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most of the companies that make windage trays for the 67 GTO only make the 3/4 one.
I ordered the 3/4 and the 2 seperate tubes also from Ames Perf.
Is there any problem with using the shorter one?
I can still cancel the order......... thanks!!!!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Milodan makes a full windage tray for pontiacs, looks like a nice piece, i have one of their 6 qt oil pans and its a nice fit, only seen the windage trays though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts