Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a custom window (windshield) shade for the GTO? These pieces of garbage from the auto parts store have pi**ed me off. They dont fit worth a damned, either too small or way to damned big. Something rigid (like cardboard) would be nice, maybe with GTO on it.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Since you're in Tampa, try going to a boat shop that builds custom bimini covers and see if they can come up with something. There are also outfits which build nice covers for RVs that are stored outside. Try checking the yellow pages in your area. A good fabricator would be fun to work with.

They might be able to come up with a pre-stressed frame of some kind that simply pops into place right in back of your windshield. In fact, drapery stores sell telescoping rods that might fit the application. One rod on either end place vertically from the dash to the inside of the headliner. When you need to go, pop one of the rods out, roll up the fabric and be gone...

Sounds like you guys made it through Dennis OK. Know we've got some folks in the Huntsville, AL area -- hope you folks are alright....

·
440 RWHP/400 RWTQ
202 Posts
:lol: That would be funny, sign me up for one!

·
Registered
143 Posts
JMVorbeck said:
Anyone know of a custom window (windshield) shade for the GTO? These pieces of garbage from the auto parts store have pi**ed me off. They dont fit worth a damned, either too small or way to damned big. Something rigid (like cardboard) would be nice, maybe with GTO on it.
I picked one up from Wal Mart for less than $7 that fits really well and is insualted and double-reflective. It makes a huge difference in the interior temp. I just folded the corners a bit and notched the mirror area a bit more.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Xcommuter said:
I ordered my Evolution Car Cover and Custom UV Sunshield from :
http://www.autoanything.com/products/product_gnn.aspx?p_id=1228&se=custom_auto_sun_shade_uv_shield

Their are cheaper examples but the Car Cover was the Quality I wanted and delivered FREE without problem , so I went back for SunShield. Used this SunShield on my last car and it lasted 10 years...
Way nice. Thanks. Ordering now.

I've seen the PFYC example and, well, I don't like it. It is a poor fit.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
JMVorbeck said:
Hey Judge,

Let me know what you think when you get it, if it is truly custom made for the 04-05 GTO its what I want.
JM, I'm sending it back. It does not fit. The width of it is fine, however the height of it, well, it's like 8" too high. The cut out for the rearview mirror is up into the headliner. I wrote them and told them of this and they wrote back and asked if I installed it correctly. Now I know I am not a rocket scientist, I just build Mack Trucks but GEESH! I ain't building the space shuttle here. They told me that some have complained of the same thing but after I guess force fitting it, it works. I will be the first to return it. That's a shame. I think they sent me the wrong one, OR my Goat is shrinking. I didn't want to buy an expensive one but I think I am going with the one recommended on here by the other fellas. This one they sent me was of what looked like the same material the astronauts wear, really tin foily lookin' and it rolled up. I wasn't impressed with it........ Back to the drawing board.... I hope the one I order next has an instruction manual. :willy:

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
GTO judge said:
JM, I'm sending it back. It does not fit. The width of it is fine, however the height of it, well, it's like 8" too high. The cut out for the rearview mirror is up into the headliner. I wrote them and told them of this and they wrote back and asked if I installed it correctly. Now I know I am not a rocket scientist, I just build Mack Trucks but GEESH! I ain't building the space shuttle here. They told me that some have complained of the same thing but after I guess force fitting it, it works. I will be the first to return it. That's a shame. I think they sent me the wrong one, OR my Goat is shrinking. I didn't want to buy an expensive one but I think I am going with the one recommended on here by the other fellas. This one they sent me was of what looked like the same material the astronauts wear, really tin foily lookin' and it rolled up. I wasn't impressed with it........ Back to the drawing board.... I hope the one I order next has an instruction manual. :willy:
:mad: Man, I was really hoping that it was a keeper. Maybe you should ask them for a Grand Am Shade, I hear thats what the GTO really is anyway. ;) Thanks for getting back with the info, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
custom sunshades

While I was at Checker (Schucks or Kragen, depending on where you live)yesterday, I saw that you can special order a sunshade specifically made for your car. They also had lots of design choices and colors. The material was almost like ultrasuede on one side, so it seemed soft and flexible, but that it would stay put. Of course, I don't own this so I can't give it a thumbs up or down, but it's an option.
And since the topic came up, my personal search is for a sunshade with Alf on it. I used to have one, and those were the days! :seeya:

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nitrogirl said:
While I was at Checker (Schucks or Kragen, depending on where you live)yesterday, I saw that you can special order a sunshade specifically made for your car. They also had lots of design choices and colors. The material was almost like ultrasuede on one side, so it seemed soft and flexible, but that it would stay put. Of course, I don't own this so I can't give it a thumbs up or down, but it's an option.
And since the topic came up, my personal search is for a sunshade with Alf on it. I used to have one, and those were the days! :seeya:
Checker, Schucks, or Kragen? I have Manny, Moe and Jack over here. Will they work?
:D

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
nitrogirl said:
Personally I prefer a giant picture of Heather Locklear, or Shina Twain on mine but I guess that ain't possible. I got it, How about one with a Goat on it? Yea that's it, a goat with Heather, or Shina on it. :willy:

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
JMVorbeck said:
:mad: Man, I was really hoping that it was a keeper. Maybe you should ask them for a Grand Am Shade, I hear thats what the GTO really is anyway. ;) Thanks for getting back with the info, I appreciate it.
They are now tellin me if they indeed sent me the correct one and I return it they will not refund my money. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: They underestimate me. The ole put the amount on the credit card in dispute routine will take care of that problem. Damn thing don't fit..... period. My advise: STAY AWAY from that outfit.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
GTO judge said:
They are now tellin me if they indeed sent me the correct one and I return it they will not refund my money.
Just looked at the copy on their web site. If they do not refund your money, write a letter to your state attorney general's office, their state attorney general's office -- and them. Print out page from their web site advertising a "perfect" fit -- and make it clear that this claim is blatantly false. Assuming you have already sent it back and can not get photos...

If that doesn't work, send a letter to consumer advocate at your local paper. Shameful media coverage has a way of wising stupid people up.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
I hear ya b a. Oh I'll get my $ back. Ya don't pay the credit card bill and put it in dispute, and what you stated is also a course of action. I already ordered the other one.
Tell ya what I picked up on ebay.... those GTO valve covers. They really look sharp on the wheels. I see you can get the theft proof ones as well, I got just the covers. Looks sharp. Won then on ebay for $15.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.