Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok what do we do about this problem. there is a metal film in the tinting that kills radio reception due to th fact the antenna is in the rear window. any suggestions besides not tinting lol which is the obvious one :(

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
BLUSHIRT35 said:
ok what do we do about this problem. there is a metal film in the tinting that kills radio reception due to th fact the antenna is in the rear window. any suggestions besides not tinting lol which is the obvious one :(
Mine is tinted (was tinted by the dealer, sorry I don't know what brand but it's dark), and the radio reception is better than in my '99 BMW 323i that the GTO replaced...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
interesting goucho cause even the manual states about tinting too , maybe you have the one without the metal film in it i have to look for that i think the car would look nice with a light tint on it not to dark you know what i mean

·
Registered
177 Posts
Mine as well, I had it tinted and my reception is fine. My biggest gripe about the window tinting is that there is so much dot matrix on the windows that you see the line around the window tinting where it doesn't stick to the dot matrix. It kinda gives it character though. :-\

·
Registered
46 Posts
BLUSHIRT35 said:
There is a nonmetallic film available. At least that's what the film installer who tinted mine said. The nonmetallic isn't as dark as the metallic (I guess), but that's fine with me, since I prefer the better night rear visibility.

Of course, I had to ask the dealer after-market products guy AND the tint shop order taker for the nonmetallic. Afterwards, when the installer drove the car to the customer reception area, I confirmed with him that he had installed the nonmetallic. Naturally, he didn't get the word.

They agreed to remove it and reinstall the nonmetallic. I debated whether or not to do that, as I was concerned about damaging the defogger elements. They assurred me that they wouldn't, since it was still wet. So I had them replace it. It seems to be okay.

The moral of the story, I guess, is to double-check with the guy who's doing the work, since the nonmetallic isn't generally the film of choice.

Another moral at no extra cost: Think twice about having anything done that is outside the usual procedure, since you're likely to inflict competence-overload on the service provider.

Poor old Murphy and his law get an undeserved amount of blame for people's failures to communicate and keep their heads out of their butts!

·
Registered
38 Posts
79TA&04GTO said:
... My biggest gripe about the window tinting is that there is so much dot matrix on the windows that you see the line around the window tinting where it doesn't stick to the dot matrix. \
--- I had the same situation in my C5. Park the car in bright sun ... let it sit for a few hours. With the window nice and warm, place a piece of notebook paper (something thin ... to prevent accidental damage to the window tint film) on the area in question ... then use a small (wooden, etc) wallpaper roller to flatten out the air gaps. TAKE YOUR TIME! Work in one small area at a time. You are NOT moving the air gaps ... but getting the window tint to attach itself around those pesky dots. With patience, it will look great!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.