Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I looked at work that was done by the shop that did mine. They had a contract with a couple of high end car dealers to do theirs also. They were definately not the cheapest, but for the $90 more than the cheapest i have 3m tint with a lifetime warranty and can use windex to clean the windows instead of soap and water.

·
Registered
222 Posts
As you don't mention where you live : Check your state laws to stay legal and prevent hassles. Spend the extra $$ for non-metallic tint - my V1 and XM antenna as well as the Rear Window FM antenna all work with no problems.
Finally check that the business you chose to do it will be around if you have to apply the lifetime warranty all top quality tint comes with. I chose "Formula One" Pinnacle Tint at 35 sides / 15 rear / 15 back. While it requires soap/water to clean vs. windex , no problem as I found spray glass cleaner on the inside of windows gets on trim as well as windows. Hope all that helps...‹(•¿•)›

·
Registered
410 Posts
Zoomin has a good point that you have to consider. Some GTO owners ask the tint shop to run the film all the way to the bottom and cover the 3rd brake light. I took my spoiler off so the 3rd brakelight in the rear window still needed to be seen. It was difficult for the shop to cut out the area needed for the light to show through and still completely light seal the back. I had a gap/small light leak that bothered me, especially at night when a car headlight would shine through brighter than the rest of the window area. The tint was so well done, I did not want to risk having them remove it and retry because of all the defog and antenna wires running on the glass. I found a piece of 0.25 inch black foam board fit perfectly between the window glass and the 3rd light plasic housing, so I trimmed a piece slightly larger (less than 1/8 of an inch) than the housing and slipped it in. Worked great plus now I don't get the stronger reflection of the 3rd light off the window tint when I apply my brakes at night.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Zoomin said:
Don't let them tint "around" the 3rd brake light. Tell them you want the whole back window tinted.
I agree the third brake light comes off tell them to just be careful of the clips because they are very fragile and you might also want to watch as they start the tint because of those little bubbles on the outter part of the window
and make sure they push it down or else you would get a ring where the tint doesn't stick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.