Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I store my 68 in a garage no heat, outside of Boston. Interested in hearing other member ideas on how to keep rodents out of car.

Currently I use rodent pellets in car on floor and fabric softener sheets under hood and inside interior. Has worked so far, last 2 winters.

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
Make sure that you have a good seal on you garage door and put lots of traps in the garage and maybe a few on the floor in the car.
This ^^^ first line of defense is sealed storage where they can't get in, I set snap traps with peanut butter but so far nothing in them.
I wouldn't put them in the car, set them under and around and get the little suckers before they get into it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Put a couple of mothballs in a sock and put them inside the engine compartment. Put a couple under the car as well. I had a mouse problem with my daily driver last year and they did the trick. The car dealer said bounce sheets work well too!

·
Registered
44 Posts
all good suggestions. I have stored vehicles for the last 20+ years including daily drivers that are stored when we travel. I have used mothballs, dryer sheets, pine needles etc etc with varying degrees of success. For the past 5 years I have used a product that is available at John Deere (large implement) dealer stores. Basically a 'sachet' made up of many different types of wood shavings, spices etc. Farmers put them in combine and tractor cabs for winter storage. Never failed yet... and leaves the vehicle has a nice smell.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I use the sticky traps placed around garage and car so they can't crawl into car and die after eating pellets, also first time I tried the pellets the mice hoarded all of the poison from the trap right into the car. I also used bounce dryer sheets spread out generously in car, and that seemed to work well last year.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
What these guys said, plus a little added protection never hurts!
(tried to post a pic of Gordon, my cat, who has never let a rodent escape, but I can no longer post pictures on this forum due to size issues).

·
Registered
918 Posts
Perfect timing.

I'm looking into this for my cars as well. I store one (GTO) at home (heated) and another (truck) in an unheated steel building on concrete. Last year I used moth balls inside the truck which worked, I guess, since I didn't have any rodent problems. Although the moth balls "worked" it does make a stinky mess for the first month after pulling the vehicle out of storage.

I really like and have heard of the farmers wood chip farmers trick but could not find them... now I have an idea where to get them, thanks nineteen 65!

I've also heard of other methods (dryer sheets, peppermint oil, garlic oil, etc) but most of them "wear out" and need to be replaced after a period of time - most retail products say good "up to" 100 days. This is not an option for me because I can't access my truck once it's in storage.

Love sites like this where guys ask a question and someone, some times multiple people, have a solution or answer!!

Thanks all!

Dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts