Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those who may remember my lemon story... Well, I took it in to have a regional tech look at the car. They've decided it's shorting somewhere in the wire harness, part alone costing (them) $2,300 dollars, and they aren't even sure what to do about it at this point.

Anyone else here had to have major surgery done like this? I can't imagine it's easy, and I can't imagine it would pull through without creating other issues... Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I've replaced a few in my time.(Not on the GTO,though) Which harness?Engine harness, dash or floorpan harness?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PEARL JAM said:
I've replaced a few in my time.(Not on the GTO,though) Which harness?Engine harness, dash or floorpan harness?
It's one that the ABS/TC is in some way associated with. Whatever one costs $2300.00 ;)

He did say that it would be major, and said for all he knew they might have to remove the engine to get to it. He really wasn't certain.

I'll ask more detail when I speak to them later...

·
Registered
22 Posts
yipching said:
They had a regional engineer involved...

I was getting the same crap from VW when I just had my GLI classified as a lemon... its not fun... but at least I am getting a GTO now!!!

Anywho, my problems started on january 2nd, and it is now almost April, a month after they agreed to replace my car and I still havent gotten my money back!!! I dont know how long you have had this problem, but expect them to drag their feet as long as possible... if you dont want them to remove the engine to do this, which I sure wouldnt, contact your lawyer and see what he says about all this. Let the dealer know that you are contacting your lawyer also, this will make them sort things out sooner.

They could never figure out my problem and that is why I got my car lemoned, under your warranty you might need to let them try replacing this last thing, but if you have one more problem, dont let anyone touch your car until they agree to replace it.

Sorry for all your troubles, I know exactly the bs that you are going through, I have been going through the same for almost 4 months of going in there every week, at least once

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
cgvalant said:
I was getting the same crap from VW when I just had my GLI classified as a lemon... its not fun... but at least I am getting a GTO
I wonder, since you had a VW and received similar treatment... Is there any sort of JD Power report on customer service by auto companies? I wonder who the best is about making things right...

·
Registered
22 Posts
yipching said:
I wonder, since you had a VW and received similar treatment... Is there any sort of JD Power report on customer service by auto companies? I wonder who the best is about making things right...
I couldnt tell you, VW did handle everything really well, whenever my car was in the shop, they sent me a little gift card or even a free nights stay at a hotel. But they just took longer than they should have. I mean taking the car in 12-13 times for the same thing is a little rediculous, and them not giving me my money back pisses me off. But overall they handled it well, especially the dealer.

But I will never buy a VW again, or at least one that has a 2.0 turbo engine, too many things that can go wrong

2.0t:shutme

·
Registered
4 Posts
Got my ex-wifes Suzuki Verona bought back by Suzuki in Jan. of this year. It took about 2 months of going back and forth. It was a "non compliant EPA problem" that they were unable to fix. Bought it back full retail with no depreciation as it was 10 months old...Had to go through regional Suzuki rep who was referred to me by dealership...remained calm but firm and they caved.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've done electrical work on cars for over 20 yrs now. Harnesses don't need to be lubricated. Maybe some of the connectors need electrical grease, but not the harness itself.

I'd call them on that one. Anyway, good luck...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cadsbury said:
I've done electrical work on cars for over 20 yrs now. Harnesses don't need to be lubricated. Maybe some of the connectors need electrical grease, but not the harness itself. I'd call them on that one. Anyway, good luck...
I think they must have been referring to dielectric grease. The service manager basically came right out and said they were pretty sure they fixed it, but the remaining part to replace is a "$4,000 cable, like an ethernet cable."

They seem to be step-by-step touching every part of the car related to the brake system, hoping they stumble across the issue. His conversation with me basically communicated that even the regional engineering people don't really know what the problem is.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I had an 05 Gaot with an intermittant ABS lamp and w/s code kick my ass for a while. Turned out to be the harness connection behind the passenger kick panel(the panel in front of the door panel, your right foot leans on it when sitting in pass. seat). Connector was barely connected at factory.:cool
Your problem sounds similiar. I wonder if they checked that connection?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.