Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 65 Lemans delivered yesterday and the car was running, now i try to start it today and nothing just click click. i think that it is my ignition swith..... any thoughts ???

·
Registered
475 Posts
Just got my 65 Lemans delivered yesterday and the car was running, now i try to start it today and nothing just click click. i think that it is my ignition swith..... any thoughts ???
probably not the ignition switch. first load test the battery. then test battery connections. then look at the starter.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i put it in neutral and a little gas in the carb and it fires right up, then it will run for a quick minute and the shuts off....... then i remember that the dang car has been sitting up in a ranch for sometime and it dawns on me that it need gas in the tank. I was so excited to have my new toy that i forgot to put gas in it..... rookie mistake... however the car would not even turn over in park all I got was Click click. Does anyone else have this happen.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Agree with freethinker, probably not ignition switch.
If it does this after it gets a little warm it's probably the starter. Also likely something with the wiring. Make sure battery terminals are clean and tight, and run down the lines to make sure they haven't been spliced, cut, etc. I once had a Grand National with a warm (not even hot) start problem. Traced the wires, and someone had tried to splice in a kill switch to the solenoid, but just twisted the wires together, used smaller gauge speaker wire, etc and that was enough to make it hard to start. I eliminated the crap and it started just fine without even spending any money.
Jeff

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah its not the ignition switch. I think the car just needs to be in neutral and not park. Oh yeah a little gas in the tank would help also.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Sounds like a bad (or needs cleaning/adjusting) neutral safety switch to me. If it cranks in neutral, but not in park this is most likely the problem.....E

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sounds like a bad (or needs cleaning/adjusting) neutral safety switch to me. If it cranks in neutral, but not in park this is most likely the problem.....E
Or it is out off adjustment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts