Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the proper way to care for the wooden dash? Ours has a flat or dull appearance. Is that correct for these cars, or should something like Pledge or MinWax be applied to the wood? I saw a beautiful early seventies car that had the wood polished brightly, and that's why I'm asking.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
What is the proper way to care for the wooden dash? Ours has a flat or dull appearance. Is that correct for these cars, or should something like Pledge or MinWax be applied to the wood? I saw a beautiful early seventies car that had the wood polished brightly, and that's why I'm asking.
No expert on it, but my '68 wood insert appears to have a varnish over it as it is peeling and it is yellowed. The wood underneath still looks great. So your dull look may be attributed to the same thing. You can get these aftermarket and may have been what you saw or the owner did a little work himself to bring out the shine - maybe a polyurethane prior to installation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I had my '66 I always used to give the wood a good rubbing with lemon oil. It would soak it up like a sponge.

A cars interior is not the best environment for wood. Hot as hell. Freezing cold and then when the a/c is on dry.

Formsby wood maintenance products are also very good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts