Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Y'all may remember me asking all sorts of questions trying to rebuild by 557 cast code 400cui. Well I had finally put it all together, and thought i had done alright. Until i noticed a light ticking sound, which while trying to find the cause i found a cam bearing was starting to come apart. This engine only had 600 miles on it and i used Amsoil SAE 30 break in oil, and i didn't mistreat it.
I am wondering if i just had a stroke of bad luck, or maybe i missed something some where. A shop handled the major rebuild process with the rotating assembly and cam bearing change. I am hoping all i need to do is replace the bearings and choose a new camshaft kit. Can anyone offer advice on what i should inspect or pay close attention before i begin the work?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't found the time yet to pull the camshaft. Metal sticking out between the bearing and cam gave away the fact it was coming apart.
I'm almost thinking I may have caused this, I had tightened the roller rocker nuts to factory stamped rocker specs, a move that bent all 16 push rods. Maybe there was enough stress put on the bearings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts