Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across an 04 black A4 at a local dealer near me which is the setup that I want. Now get this the paper ad shows the vehicle has 800mi !!!! and the asking price is 17,900 the first thing in my head is this is a typo. Sure enough I call the guy up and he is says no its good. Write off the bat he discloses that the vehicle was in a minor accident and the right front wheel had to be replaced. In my head I am like ok this thing was probably totalled but this guy did not hide anything he told me from the start of course he can be B.S.ing me about the extent he also offers pics of the damage. As to why the car has only 800mi he said that this happend when the car was new and after the accident it sat a long time in storage while they were trying to get insurance problems resolved something of the nature. I think its worth to go check it out of course I cannot do anything until I sell my truck which sucks cause if this thing checks out it might be a bargain. I would have it checked out by a pro before purchase is there anything you guys can hint to me to look for with the naked eye. I know the general things of course have had many pony cars in the past but I figured the owners of these cars would know specifics to look for. Thanks.....

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Here's some information I got from an insurance adjuster.

The insurance company doesn't always "total" a vehicle only because it was really totalled damage wise. They have to factor in availability and cost of replacement parts, and how long they would need to pay for a rental if the insured has that coverage.

From what I've read on lead times for parts- - -that factor could really weigh in on a GTO repair. That said, possibly a "totalled" GTO really wasn't.

That said, be very careful. See if you can't talk to the adjuster of the company that paid for the repair.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Chances are it wasn't a total. Owner probably didnt want it cause it wasn't Cherry anymore. I would have second thoughts to buying a car that was hit. You're at the mercy of the facility that did the repairs and unless you know them to be top notch.......walk away.
Also how would warranty be affected by this. The dealer can always use the "ACCIDENT" as a crutch to decline warranty work that may involve the repaired area of the car. Price is enticing..........but I would keep looking.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your feeback guys. My curiosity is killing me I will check it out tomorrow and post results. The dealer told me he has all the paper work of the repairs so I will check out the facility. Also will get vin and run a carfax. Why can't I post pics on the board its telling me I have exceeded quota its 60k pic ??

·
Registered
674 Posts
too many internet detectives here. when the car first came over there were no body parts. the owner may have eaten the loss in order to have a car.

it is at a dealer so he gets some sort of warranty.

if every car that was hit was totalled, there would be no body shops.

see what he offers on a trade, have it looked at, and see. with new 05s going out at the high 20s, and 06s at about 32 i think 18 is about right for a two year old GM

·
Registered
103 Posts
noz34me said:
Here's some information I got from an insurance adjuster.

The insurance company doesn't always "total" a vehicle only because it was really totalled damage wise. They have to factor in availability and cost of replacement parts, and how long they would need to pay for a rental if the insured has that coverage.

From what I've read on lead times for parts- - -that factor could really weigh in on a GTO repair. That said, possibly a "totalled" GTO really wasn't.

That said, be very careful. See if you can't talk to the adjuster of the company that paid for the repair.
Indiana considers a car totaled if payout equals 75% or higher of the vehicles current street worth. So a lot of new cars get totaled simply because of first year depreciation....in Indiana....

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok went to see this vehicle and of course to good to be true. It was the funniest thing paint was all faded cause they probably used spray can paint after thing was demolished in an accident. Then they have the nerve to say the vehicle only has 800 mi like the ad so I get the keys fire it up and the motor sounds like a 2.8 running on two cylinders. The dummy lights are all on check engines, air bags, abs you name it was on stormed out of there and told the guy he was a joke:lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.