Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were building a "driver" car, especially one where the original engine is long gone, would you go this route?

Pontiac 400/461 stroker 420hp motor, with Edelbrock 750 carb READY TO RUN!! | eBay

Looks interesting, and could always be "undone" I suppose. I guess also you could opt for the non-stroker 400 and put a standard intake and Q-Jet on it if you want things to look right, but it sure looks like a lot of engine for the money and the guy's got outstanding feedback...

Interested in opinions.. I have small-block Ford stroker motors in two of my Mustangs and they make a ton of low-end torque, almost like a big block, but they look like 302's to the casual observer...

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like this one just a little bit better eBay item #251040639511

That looks interesting too! Also looks like he might have a correct block and heads for my year.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First guy looks like his finished product is more show quality though...

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
A stroked 400 will make a bunch of usable at low rpm and at part throttle, which is great for economy on a daily driver. The monster torque is there when you need it or want it. Driven with care, you can 'have it all'....The next Poncho I build (who knows when that will be!) will probably be a 400 stroker. There are too many advantages vs a big journal block, and there's no real down side.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The guy (Herb) seems like a hell of a nice guy, says he will build it with my choice of Ram Air III heads- 16, 13 or 48. Can also request no intake or carb...

Hrm....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts