Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been toying with the idea of selling my '01 Trans Am Firehawk convertible (8700 miles) and getting a really purty red 06 GTO.

My wife says I'll regret it if I do...she was right when I sold my '67 GTO in 86. Since my first car was a GTO I am kinda a partial and after I test drove it, well what else can I say?:confused

So what do you guys think?

·
Registered
439 Posts
a 67 goat for anything made in 86, yeah i'd regret that.

Does your firehawk have 8700 miles or 87000 miles? Did a double take on that, since 8700 would probably qualify it to collector status.

The fit and finish of your hawk is no where near a goat, if you go to the track a lot you won't like the IRS. Or the added weight. Insurance would be cheaper most likely, mileage won't be as good as your hawk.

So really what's more important to you, a warrenty, great interior, newer engine and marginally better handling, or a lightweight undeniably badass car that you're free to mod?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Firehawk said:
My wife says I'll regret it if I do...she was right when I sold my '67 GTO in 86.So what do you guys think?
With that track record, I'd listen to your wife. What were you thinking? If your car only has 8K+ miles, keep it. Maybe you’ll love the next GTO that comes out – who knows. Anyway, if you have one care you really like/love, wait until you can keep it and still get the new one.

This is a safe rule. If you drive a new car, with new paint, and a better engine, and you still don’t know if you want it more than the car you have, keep the car you have. You’re just suffering from ‘newitis’. A firehawk has limitless options and they look vicious.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
If the T.A. only has 8k on it I wouldn't. It's virtually new and is probably paid off(or near paid off).:cool

·
Registered
456 Posts
Groucho said:
In a picosecond.
:agree

Do whatever your gut tells you! (did I just say that? :lol: )

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Have you compared to pros (good cash value, collectible?, the wife told you so,) and cons (poor cash value, not a collectible, don't care what the wife says) of keeping or selling the Firehawk?

If you can afford to keep both then do so. If not, I guess you'll be the only one who knows what will happen.

Good luck either way :cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sell the hawk

I traded 1994 Firehawk #329, 63,000 miles and a 1988 Formula 52,000 miles for my GTO. The Firehawk is a fun car, but a very choppy ride. The GTO is a much smoother ride and better quality.

I miss the 1988 but not the Firehawk.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I guess you'll have to ask yourself why you buy the cars you do--what your intent is.

If you pick a cool, fast car every so many years and then trade it in for whatever strikes your fancy next, there's no reason to hang on to that Firehawk. It's five years old, the LS1 has been replaced with the more powerful LS2, and F-bodies always were an awkward marriage of huge exteriors and little teeny interiors. Logic would dictate that the state of the musclecar art has moved on.

On the other hand, if you buy cars with a view toward their potential collector status, that Firehawk could turn into an interesting historical piece one day. Do you have that kind of patience? Or budget? I had an '86 Corvette that I bought new and owned for five years, but if I'd kept it, today it would be . . . a 20-year-old, not-particularly-desirable old car. And hanging on to it would have impacted my ability to own the fun cars I've had in all the years since then (a '94 Z28, an '01 C5 and my '05 GTO).

If you have "new-car-itis" the way it appears you do, it would seem you're inclined to move from the Firehawk to something else at some point. Is now the time to do it? Tough call. Does it matter to you that your Firehawk is out of warranty? A warranty comes with a new GTO. What did Firehawks have for horsepower? 335 or thereabouts? That's more than sufficient to have lots of fun. The 400 in a GTO will feel faster to you, but not a whale of a lot.

Other than the extra horsepower, the warranty and a moderately more accommodating interior, you won't gain a heckuva lot with a GTO. If you're getting along just fine sans warranty right now, and if ponycars hold a special place in your heart, were I you I'd hold off and plunge your car dollars into the next-gen Camaro/GTO due in a year or so. If you spent your money now (and every time you buy a car you lose money that you can't get back), you might be kicking yourself in a year.

Bottom line: As much as I enjoy my GTO, I have a notion that a few years from now our 04-06 Goats are going to be viewed as kind of an odd duck, in-between car that was a Band-Aid fix for a temporary hole in GM's model lineup. I've heard some speculate that that'll make our cars all the more special, but I can't help thinking history will view these models in much the same fashion as Cadillac Cateras, Opel GTs, Merkurs and the like. What GM has in the works right now with the Zeta platform is a car that'll have legs. It'll be around a while, and it's being designed specifically to meet the needs of our market.

If I were you, I'd hang on a bit longer. You're almost there!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've got a '02 Firehawk and an '04 GTO. My firehawk is a coupe with 6-speed and 1LE suspension. It also has the 345 hp air filter package that was available in '02. I love driving the Firehawk, it handles great and will drive circles around the GTO on the autocross course. It is also a little faster feeling car. I haven't had either on the drag strip, but the Firehawk on the road and on the autocross courses seems to respond faster and accelerate quicker. But for an everyday car that is a lot of fun to drive and comfortable even for four people, the GTO is an excellent choice.

I see the Firehawk as the toy I want to own when I'm retired. I don't plan on ever getting rid of it or modifying it beyond simple bolt on items. The GTO is a car that is easily replaceable and I will drive it and modify it in anyway that I want.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
84racebird said:
I've got a '02 Firehawk and an '04 GTO. My firehawk is a coupe with 6-speed and 1LE suspension. It also has the 345 hp air filter package that was available in '02. I love driving the Firehawk, it handles great and will drive circles around the GTO on the autocross course. It is also a little faster feeling car. I haven't had either on the drag strip, but the Firehawk on the road and on the autocross courses seems to respond faster and accelerate quicker. But for an everyday car that is a lot of fun to drive and comfortable even for four people, the GTO is an excellent choice.

I see the Firehawk as the toy I want to own when I'm retired. I don't plan on ever getting rid of it or modifying it beyond simple bolt on items. The GTO is a car that is easily replaceable and I will drive it and modify it in anyway that I want.

:agree Well said

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
84racebird said:

The way you feel about your Firehawk is how I feel about my GTO!:D

·
Registered
233 Posts
PEARL JAM said:
The way you feel about your Firehawk is how I feel about my GTO!:D
:agree

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.