Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was planning on changing the oil again at 5K miles, then every 5K after that. Is that too frequent? Then again, I don't plan on putting many miles on this car...seeing as it's going to be parked for several months during the wintertime and if the weather's nice during the spring/summer I prefer to ride my Kawasaki.

·
Registered
388 Posts
silvergoat2k6 said:
I was planning on changing the oil again at 5K miles, then every 5K after that. Is that too frequent? Then again, I don't plan on putting many miles on this car...seeing as it's going to be parked for several months during the wintertime and if the weather's nice during the spring/summer I prefer to ride my Kawasaki.
Here's a recent thread I started on the topic. Hope it helps.

Gerry

·
Registered
141 Posts
My dealer charges 9.50 a quart for Mobil 1. I can get it a lot less at Wal-mart. I'm starting to use Amsoil. Just got in my current change and filter for 67 bucks and the dealer won't charge too much to put it in. Gave up doing that work long ago. The Amsoil is supposed to be good for 25,000 miles, doubt I'll wait that long, but never know. CR did a report many years ago in NY taxis and changed at 3,000, 5,000 and 7,500 and there were no differences after 100,000 miles at tear down so I'm not too religious about a short cycle on the oil.
Anyways, not too surprised about how expensive the change was given the excessive dealer markup.

·
440 RWHP/400 RWTQ
202 Posts
My dealer lets me bring my own oil (Sam's Club $29/case), and charges me $14 for filter and labor. So $43 per oil change is pretty good I think.:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
marathonman said:
My dealer lets me bring my own oil (Sam's Club $29/case), and charges me $14 for filter and labor. So $43 per oil change is pretty good I think.:)
Your dealer must like you alot, $14.00 doesn't pay the tech, much less the filter or the shop time. I own my own shop and I'm not usually inclined to allow customers to bring their own parts to be installed. I've never been to a resturant that allowed me to bring my own steak for them to cook. Kinda defeats the purpose of being in business if you've gotta do work for people and lose money on the job:eek: . That happens enough without intentionally allowing it to happen.:eek:

Just my personal opinion as a business owner, not meant to offend anyone in any way, shape or form.

·
Registered
115 Posts
my first oil change was free from my dealer

·
Registered
273 Posts
that's a good dealer, mine sent me a coupon for the first one, butI had to buy some mods to get it. dont mader I changed my oil first at 450 miles, to get rid of the assbaly lube and the babbit ware from the berrings. then at 3000 miles. to remove ring and cylinder ware.

·
Registered
228 Posts
tommycheng1728 said:
my first oil change was free from my dealer
Mine was too. Not sure if they actually changed it, though. I didn't check the oil right afterwards like I should have, but after 3000 miles, it didn't look good. I don't think they changed it. I have changed my own oil ever since and I only use Mobil 1.

·
Registered
115 Posts
HoldenGTO said:
Mine was too. Not sure if they actually changed it, though. I didn't check the oil right afterwards like I should have, but after 3000 miles, it didn't look good. I don't think they changed it. I have changed my own oil ever since and I only use Mobil 1.
making me think? how is fresh oil supposed to look as opposed to old oil? I had mine changed at 1650 miles, will i even see a difference?

·
Registered
54 Posts
tommycheng1728 said:
making me think? how is fresh oil supposed to look as opposed to old oil? I had mine changed at 1650 miles, will i even see a difference?
Fresh oil will have the clear/golden kind of look, and old oil will start looking black after a while. It just depends on how long you've driven and how hard you've dirven the car. The harder you drive and longer you keep it, the darker it will be.

·
440 RWHP/400 RWTQ
202 Posts
Whats the difference between that and other car makes doing your scheduled maintainences for no charge at all. Those big dealers make enough money off other services to where it doesn't matter a whole lot. It's my guess that they hope you may return for other services, warranty work or not. They will make their money back there. I'm in and out in less than 30 min start to finish. How much money are they really losing.......just my opinion

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Slick02 said:
Your dealer must like you alot, $14.00 doesn't pay the tech, much less the filter or the shop time. I own my own shop and I'm not usually inclined to allow customers to bring their own parts to be installed. I've never been to a resturant that allowed me to bring my own steak for them to cook. Kinda defeats the purpose of being in business if you've gotta do work for people and lose money on the job:eek: . That happens enough without intentionally allowing it to happen.:eek:

Just my personal opinion as a business owner, not meant to offend anyone in any way, shape or form.
I posted this a few times about the dealer changing the oil for you. 14.99 plus my oil and filter. This is the only car I do this with. Well in the winter, I'll take my wife's GT to them with my oil and filter. My dealer gives out 10% coupons for work performed. I just had my oil and filter changed out for 3.99.

Some dealers won't do this, mine does. I also used to rotate my tires as well. My dealer charges me 19.99 for this. With my back not being what it was... that price is not too awful bad.....

Regarding rotating tires, I read in an article where someone wrote in and asked if the cost of rotating tires, is worth it, that person said he is charged like 35.00 or so. The reply was...If you are being charged like that, it is not worth the extra money to have it done, unless you are having work performed on your car and the service guys throw it in at no cost. But If you are just having them rotated, it is not worth the cost considering you will spend $$ to do this during the life of the tires....

I dunno if I agree with this, I've seen new tires wear out pretty fast with a misaligned front end. They will wear pretty good often times before you realize it..

I rotate mine at my oil changes for the GTO at 5K and every other oil change with my other cars...

What are you guys doing regarding rotation?

·
440 RWHP/400 RWTQ
202 Posts
Oil changes are nothing to a dealer, especially when you bring your own oil. It encourages customer loyalty in other aspects with that dealership. Granted, this is a Chevrolet dealer, not Pontiac, but, I'm considering at C6 in the near future, and I will definitely give them 1st crack at a deal just because they treat me well with my Pontiac!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Change the oil yourself - $4.50 per quart at Wal-Mart for M1 and $3-$5 for a filter. So that's $27 for oil and $3 for filter - $30 and you can do it every 3 to 5 K miles and save a ton of money.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.