Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does it seem that almost every 04 to 06 GTO that I see on Craigslist is wrecked or for parts? I have been noticing this for years. Are they really that powerful or is it just that people keep trying to drive them in the snow around here?

I thought I would ask the question in this forum instead of the late model forum because I don't know anyone over there.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Two of my friends have late model gto's. One is stock one is supercharged. Both have been smashed up. Both in similar ways. And no snow around here. I think one problem is lack of rear wheel drive cars. Both cars were smashed when driver floored it merging on the freeway, kicked out the rear and caught a wall. The other problem goes too lack of knowledge/respect of power they just honestly under estimate it. That's my opinion at least.

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
In a nut shell:

The new gen GTO was produced targeting the 40K a year mid age person. It was priced out of range for kids. As the car has aged and the new GTO ran its course those folks dumped or traded them. They're now becoming affordable to those this car was not intended for.

So, these kids are acquiring them and we're seeing mass destruction of them. Most have no clue on the power or even what this car is. They hear its a demon on the streets and they want. The more bold they get, the more "experience" with the car they get the more chances they take and we get to read their miscalculations and see the carnage.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've considered this very same question as well as this; I bought my 06 without any drive-train at all, otherwise it was pristine. This suited my purposes because I want to put in a different drive train and didn’t want an additional engine around to deal with. I’ve seen several in similar situations as well as beat up. I’ve wondered why someone would take the train out but otherwise not mess the car up. My thought was it had something to do with a repo situation. The guy wanted to get some value out of the car before it was repoed.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I believe GTO Judge has it right.
As a bit of advice to new owners, be very cautious driving on rain slick roads. Hard acceleration, even in fourth gear, can break loose the rear end and cause a loss of control.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Well said Judge...Power demands respect especially on public roads where the life you take may not be just your own.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts