Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Definitely looks like a picture of a water pump. The timing cover should have a big hole with an oil seal in it where the front of the crankshaft comes through. I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong- that it's the same cover for all the Pontiac V-8's? I have a "big journal" 428 so I'm not positive but I think the harmonic balancer is the same for all the V-8's so it ought to be the same as a 326/350/389/400. A salvage yard ought to be able to sell you one cheap?

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Definitely looks like a picture of a water pump. The timing cover should have a big hole with an oil seal in it where the front of the crankshaft comes through. I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong- that it's the same cover for all the Pontiac V-8's? I have a "big journal" 428 so I'm not positive but I think the harmonic balancer is the same for all the V-8's so it ought to be the same as a 326/350/389/400. A salvage yard ought to be able to sell you one cheap?
Yes, you are wrong. Four different harmonic balancers & four different timing covers (not including the 301). Three different water pumps.

Harmonic balancers: (1) The 1959-'67 6-bolt 2-piece balancer. (2)The 1968-'75 and the 1976-'79 performance 400CI balancers are all the same. (3) The Ram Air IV engine had a slightly larger one. (4) The solid "hub" (instead of a balancer) was used on 1976-'79 low performance engines.

Timing covers: (1)1964-'67 Timing cover with 8-bolt water pump. (2)1968 Timing cover with 8-bolt water pump and timing tab to match the new designed harmonic balancer ('68-'75 type). (3) 1969-'79 Timing cover with 11-bolt water pump. (4) Timing cover with a bolt-on timing tab for the solid hub balancer.

You can buy a new timing cover, new balancer, versus used pieces unless you are doing a concours restoration and need to have factory original. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Thanks for the info/correction PontiacJim. In case I discover an oil leak or damaged balancer I'd like to get the correct part for my '68 motor someday- (no concours for me, I just want to drive mine!) Good luck, wkidgto, on finding that "first generation" part, sorry for the wrong info- my greasy old '68 Pontiac factory manual gives me tunnel vision I guess. Sounds like keeping even an old "blown up" motor would be smart just to keep the correct parts together...

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Thanks for the info/correction PontiacJim. In case I discover an oil leak or damaged balancer I'd like to get the correct part for my '68 motor someday- (no concours for me, I just want to drive mine!) Good luck, wkidgto, on finding that "first generation" part, sorry for the wrong info- my greasy old '68 Pontiac factory manual gives me tunnel vision I guess. Sounds like keeping even an old "blown up" motor would be smart just to keep the correct parts together...

No problem. LOL I like you never knew either, thought they were all the same. Have learned a like from being on this site and reading through the many Pontiac books & articles I have. Armed with the "correct" information & knowledge helps to CYA when you go searching or looking to buy Pontiac parts for your car - and guard yourself against gettin' taken. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Good to read you found a replacement!

In an effort to provide accurate information, the late '63- '65 timing cover uses the same timing cover, has a timing mark that is shaped like a small diam cylinder that comes to a point. Pontiac V8's with this timing cover were originally equipped wuth an 8 bolt waterpump which has a cast impeller with a very "lazy" impeller design. This was due to the cooling system design/early radiators having inlet & outlet on the passenger side. Pontiac Engineering did not specify the later '66-68 more agressive style impeller in replacement waterpumps for the '63-65 V8's, as it moved the water through the radiator too quickly & heat was not exchanged as well.

Scott has it correct, the '66 & '67 took a different casting number timing cover & have a numbered "stob" to ck the timing. Many in the hobby don't know this, thus many '66 & 67 timing covers have been interchanged over the years through the course of cooling system maintaince.

Having pulled & sold literally hundreds of nice clean original Pontiac timing covers, it seems over the last two decades it's been harder & harder to find high quality used no rot late '63-65 style timing covers than any of the later 8 bolt timing covers. I try and keep in stock, nice clean examples of each, though seldom get in a nice late '63-65 cover. If anyone subscribed in the early to mid 80's to Dr Phil Baughman's "Classic GTO Newsletter", Phil had a GREAT technical breakdown nearly every month. One month's newsletter had a very well written breakfown of the different Pontiac V8 timing covers compete with pictures. Of all the subscription type Pontiac newsletters of the 80's & 90's, it was by far the best. In respect to original waterpumps, have another original wp rebuild session going next week & can work in a few more pumps. As always, each pump is correctly rebuilt & turnaround is fairly quick complete with email, PM, or texts, whatever is preferred line of communication.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts