Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is an X-pipe exhaust system really better than a straight dual exhaust? Take for example a 350 with an automatic, stock exhaust manifolfds, edelbrock performer intake, edelbrock 1406 carb.

B

·
0 Posts
not to contradict randy but the purpose of an H pipe or an X pipe in the exhaust is to equalize the flow of exhaust through the entire system. You see, the H and X pipes create a vacuum of sorts to get the exhaust out quicker which enables less backpressure which means more power!

So, talk to your muffler shop and see which one is right for you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I'm not sure about, it seems to me mufflers of any kind are an obstruction, even the free flowing kind, when you compare them to straight pipes. Also, if the left and right banks are separated there would be no interference, or pressure from other exhaust ports.
Finding a muffler shop you can trust may not be easy at first. How do you know if their not trying to get you to spend more money? That's why I came here with this question.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I know my father-in-law used to run x pipes on his older muscle cars to keep them from sounding as loud. Something about the x pipe that equalizes the sound and makes it a little less "thumpy". Makes the car more of a sleeper.

Never been close up to one to see the difference!

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
big_mike said:
not to contradict randy but the purpose of an H pipe or an X pipe in the exhaust is to equalize the flow of exhaust through the entire system. You see, the H and X pipes create a vacuum of sorts to get the exhaust out quicker which enables less backpressure which means more power!

So, talk to your muffler shop and see which one is right for you.
Your not contradicting me, we are on the same page. LOL

R

·
0 Posts
Right, The X pipes increase the 'scavenging' effect on the engine, scavenging is the suction(vacuum) created by the exhaust which actually helps to pull the exhaust gas out of the cylinder. Running an exhaust with an X pipe and good mufflers, will out perform straight pipes alone. A little bit of back pressure is actually a good thing, honest

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
As far as finding the right muffler shop, check with your local car club and ask who does exhaust systems for cars in the club. I did this and am very pleased with the system and got a club discount too.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I had a Ravin exhaust installed on my Explorer and really love it. Went to Midas to get an estimate for installing just the mufflers and was told no way. Not enough room for just that. They said I'd have to get an aftermarket exhaust. Looks to me like there's enough room for just a muffler replacement. Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info!

Not sure of any clubs here in Orange County, I'll have to check into that...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Funny, I've got Ravin on my Exploder too!

Regarding the X-PIPE, would it dampen the sound of my Flowmasters if I put in an X?

;)

Dave

B

·
0 Posts
all give within 2% of the same gain, its mostly preference in sound and brand loyalty.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts