Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having XM installed in my GTO this week...I have a Delphi XMSkyfi2 that I will be able to transfer from it's docking station to my car...my question is has anyone put XM in there GTO and if so, where did you put it in your car? I'm looking at all possible options. Thanks!:D

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well I have the XM Roady 2 it's smaller than the SkiFI but I mounted it just behind the power window buttons in that little empty space. My antenna is in on dash as far back in the corner of the windshield as I could get it. And picks up real good + don't scratch paint + I didn't have to run the wire outside + I don't like that black bubble on the top of my car or the free advertising it gives :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
GOATGIRL, I have the RoadyXT and if I can figure out how to insert a picture here (can anyone tell me how to do it?), I'll show you where I had it mounted. The installer popped the center console and created a mount to come out between the seam in the silver molding at radio level on the passenger's side. The only thing I would do a little differently is raise it up a few more inches. It is "slightly" in the way of the passenger, but not bad. They ran the antenna around the glovebox, under the passenger side door jam, thru the back seat, around the rear window molding and I have the antenna top back center.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thx GOATGIRL, I hope that will give you an idea. There is really not anywhere good to mount the XM Radio. My goal was to get power from the radio and not "cut" anything. The molding is slightly separated, but it looks more separated in the photo than for real. It works well. I also picked up a remote for my XM Roady XT online for $10. I keep it in the center tray and use it to change channels...otherwise is is a little bit of a reach to change channels. Like I said, I would make the custom mount maybe 1" - 2" higher so does not interfere with passenger's knee although where it is located is not a big deal. The installer charged me $75 for the whole job including, wiring, custom mount, running wire for the antenna. Well worth the cost.

·
Registered
51 Posts
johnebgoode said:
I have the Commander in mine. Located it in the pocket below radio.
I have the Sirius unit that is similar to the Comander. Fits below the radio, and when I park in the city, it is hidden by the cover. It is hard wired in, but the installer mentioned that he had to use an adapter. Put the antenna on the trunk just behind the rear window, where it can barely be seen. Paid $75 to have it installed...well worth the $$$.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys! Thanks for all the help and advice on this subject....I just got my car back and it looks great! Unfortunately, it really couldn't be placed where I really wanted (right where the ashtray is) but I do have it in. I'm going to be taking some pictures of it tomorrow and have them on the site. The guys who did it for me did an incredible job! Can't see any wires, didn't mess the car up, and hooked the antenna up where the rearview mirror is...reception is great!:D

Again, thanks for the input...it was a big help!:party: :cheers

·
Registered
146 Posts
FastFreddy said:
I have the Sirius unit that is similar to the Comander. Fits below the radio, and when I park in the city, it is hidden by the cover. It is hard wired in, but the installer mentioned that he had to use an adapter. Put the antenna on the trunk just behind the rear window, where it can barely be seen. Paid $75 to have it installed...well worth the $$$.
:agree
I had the Sirius installed in the same place looks great. Mobile One salesman screwed up and I got the install for $1, should have been $75.:D
I have the XM in my wifes Tahoe and I hate it. I think Sirius has a lot better programing. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
194 Posts
jortegasr said:
I think Sirius has a lot better programing. Just my 2 cents.
:agree I love my Sirius. Just picked up the S50 last month and when I bring the Goat back out in the spring, I'm gonna have to come up with some elaborite install due to the horrible placement of the powerport in the car.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Nice install GoatGirl. I think the extra inch or two up was the right way to go. I had people in the passenger seat all weekend and they said mine was not in the way of their knee because of the way the floorboard slopes in, but they just seemed to be keeping their knee a little awkward to keep from pressing up against the side of my Xm Roady.

Yes, it is FM modulation. It's fine. I've only had to change from 88.1 t0 88.5 once due to static coming in. On the roady, changing the frequency is easy.

I think Sirus made a seriously bad move paying Stern that much money for his "scum of the earth" show. Do you know he intends on having live sex on his show...just because he can. What is the world coming to....errrrr I mean the Exosphere. I say, boycott Sirus NOW! LOL, just funning, well kind of. I'll stick with XM, thank you.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Your install looks good to Groucho. That seems to fit well. I just didn't want to give up the compartment and areaunder neath.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts