Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

If you havent heard, year one is making 17 inch aluminum Rally II Wheels. They are very very well made and absolutely beautiful. They also come in 17x8 or 17x9 with 4.5 and 5 inch back space respectively. Take a look at what they look like on my 69, picked them up last week at year one.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
$799 plus the cost of the lug nuts and center caps. They are probably the best mod I have done to the car. I highly reccomend them.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I reccomend a 245/45R17 Tire on the front for no rubbing. I installed 255/50R17 on all 4 corners. I had to slightly roll the front and back sides of the front wheel wells to get about a half inch extra room so there would be no rubbing. I was still able to attach the original chrome trim even though the front and rear had been rolled in a little. It was not enough to make the chrome not fit. The 245/45R17 would not have this issue.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Any idea what the backspace would be for a 9" wheel. I'm thinking of going with a 275 tire on the back of my '69. It also has station wagon springs so the rear is raised.

·
Registered
11 Posts
How do you think these would fit on a 68 lemans? Im about to upgrade to disks in front, and im in the market to possibly replace my 14's. Not sure if 68' and 69's share the exact front fenders share the exact dimensions.
Do you think a 245/45R17x9 front, and a 255/50R17x9 rear would fit with no rubbing?
Anyone know of anyone who has gone with a 17" on a 68?
Thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That setup would fit perfect on your 68 LeMans. Check out the Pro Touring forum there's a guy that had the same setup and same car

·
Registered
16 Posts
JTWoods4,

Hello! Hopefully you see this message; I know this thread has been dormant for quite awhile. Do you have more pics of the Year One 17" Rally II wheels installed on your '69 GTO? If so, could I bother you to see them?

I ask because, while I have been a big fan of these wheels ever since I found them on Year One's website over a year ago, I still can't figure out if I want to get a set for my '69 GTO. The size concerns me - my GTO is mostly original and I don't know if a 17" wheel will look out of place or not. Also, I'm curious if how "deep" the wheels are, and how much lighter the painted/powder coated background looks compared to original Rally II wheels, will bother me.

If you have any other pics could you post them to this thread? Not sure how much of a hassle that is since I basically just joined this forum today to reach out to you about your wheels.

Thanks!

·
Registered
154 Posts
This is such great feedback. At least I know now that I can run 17x9 with 5" feedback in the rear. I am gonna do research on some other wheels for my 69 but I will consider this ones for sure.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JTWoods4,

Hello! Hopefully you see this message; I know this thread has been dormant for quite awhile. Do you have more pics of the Year One 17" Rally II wheels installed on your '69 GTO? If so, could I bother you to see them?

I ask because, while I have been a big fan of these wheels ever since I found them on Year One's website over a year ago, I still can't figure out if I want to get a set for my '69 GTO. The size concerns me - my GTO is mostly original and I don't know if a 17" wheel will look out of place or not. Also, I'm curious if how "deep" the wheels are, and how much lighter the painted/powder coated background looks compared to original Rally II wheels, will bother me.

If you have any other pics could you post them to this thread? Not sure how much of a hassle that is since I basically just joined this forum today to reach out to you about your wheels.

Thanks!
here's a link to one of my photo albums that shows the wheels on the car they are awesome you can't go wrong with these wheels I have them on my GTO and by Trans Am

https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/yv2V7S

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow, this is perfect! After seeing your pics I think I'm buying a set of these wheels in the Spring. You've helped me a lot; thank you.

Once I get my new wheels and tires I might have to post some pictures of my GTO on here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
bondobill,

Once again, I am reactivating this post after it's been dormant for months! First off, your '68 GTO looks great. Black always looks great on this body style, and the red-line tires are a nice touch. Thanks for sharing the pic.

What size tires did you wrap around those 17" Year One Rally II's? Did you have to make any suspension adjustments to avoid rubbing since you upgraded to a larger wheel and tire?

·
Registered
40 Posts
bondobill,

Once again, I am reactivating this post after it's been dormant for months! First off, your '68 GTO looks great. Black always looks great on this body style, and the red-line tires are a nice touch. Thanks for sharing the pic.

What size tires did you wrap around those 17" Year One Rally II's? Did you have to make any suspension adjustments to avoid rubbing since you upgraded to a larger wheel and tire?
Here is a very nice 1968 Tempest Convertible with those wheels.

http://www.gtoforum.com/f12/1968-tempest-convertible-38410/

1 - 20 of 26 Posts