Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Years to Come?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  dealernut 
#1 ·
I have been talking to allot of people recently about this and I am curious of your thoughts.

The GTO is going bye-bye this year. We all know that, so what will fill the void in the Performance line of GM? Will it be the Trans Am, which will again go abck to the camaro haired moniker which heralded the models past. Will they move to a GTO based in America?

If the latter, then a second question arises. We are all certain they will place a V6 into the engine bay to make a mid 20's priced range vehicle. However if they keep the GTO name then what? A V6 GTO? Thats sacreligous!!!!!\

Would they bring back the Tempest nameplate?
Would they bring back the Judge then? Which IMO should be a bare bones version of our current vehicle that is stripped for speed with an even meatier exhaust coupled to a better differential and a better suspension.

Anyways ~ Those are my thoughts.... what are yours?

#2 ·
It's hard to say. This global marketing crap that's going on has watered down the product IMO. I guess it depends on how well the new RWD platform works and sells.

Truthfully, it's better NOT to have a replacement, if the new car is watered down and is solely living off of a badge on the fender. A V6 GTO would spell the end for sure. Who knows, maybe Lutz will hold true to his plans and give the Pontiac GTO a platform to be proud of at an affordable price. We'll see....

:D

#3 ·
Hmmmmm-those are good questions.

I think The Judge was originally exactly what you describe; a stripped down version of the GTO built only for speed. I thought I read somewhere that concept only lasted a year or two, and then the Judge became a "high end" GTO musclecar.

My guess is the marketing geniuses at GM, when the hear "The Judge" will only see "$$$$$$$$", so that means they'll cost more, not less.

There should certainly not be a V6 GTO, just like there shouldn't be a FWD GTO either.

I still think the Firebird more likely to return than the GTO, but I've been wrong before, and will be wrong again. Basing the GTO on the same chassis as a Camaro just doesn't seem right. Like the planets are out of alignment or something.

#4 ·
PHOTOGOAT said:
It's hard to say. This global marketing crap that's going on has watered down the product IMO. I guess it depends on how well the new RWD platform works and sells.

Truthfully, it's better NOT to have a replacement, if the new car is watered down and is solely living off of a badge on the fender. A V6 GTO would spell the end for sure. Who knows, maybe Lutz will hold true to his plans and give the Pontiac GTO a platform to be proud of at an affordable price. We'll see....

:D
Go back to late 70's I think and take a look at the GTO. Was nothing much more than a glorified Ventura with GTO badging. 350 V8 with 200HP.

#5 ·
:agree

I personally would be fine with a Zetta platform GTO w/LS2 foundation and IRS.

A judge would be nice to me and I would be fine to pay more if it meant it paced a C6, which would be attainable if its a stripped down version.

Tempest - I am certain there will be a V6 model in there. Too much money in that price range to not have it. If they put the 3.8(Grand Prix) or perhaps the 3.9(G6 GTP) engine in then I could live with it. Someone has to drive the slow cars around town.

If the GTO was made Front Wheel Drive I would quit that day and go work for Chevrolet.

#6 ·
Personally I hope they build the Camaro and bring back the Trans Am on its chassis and they should build a Chevelle and build the GTO of of its chassis.

Of course all of these should be RWD V8's only. NONE SHOULD BE A 4 DOOR. IRS or Solid Rear is cool with me as long as a 6-Speed Manual is an option.

#8 ·
Rumors are certainly abundant. With GM's money woes, I just hope poor planning and panic strategy does not kick into gear. the USA is a hard place to do business. On one side everyone wants a product at their price, yet on the other, no one wants to see their stock dividend cut either. My old economics professor predicted this in the 60's. He said also that credit would make up the difference between declining wages and skyrocketing prices. His point, well taken, as we go longer in calendar years, the more time it takes to pay for a car. I remember the 3 year loan. Of course, I also remember .19 gasoline too. OMG, I have more time behind me than I have in front of me.

#9 ·
powerman_dsr said:
when i was working for the dealer i heard rummors of Pontiac possible being phased out up till 2008 so the pontiac gto might be worth quite a lot in the future
yep. Pontiac is being phased out.

Thats why they have designed 4 new vehicles in three years.

G6 Brand new
Solstice Brand new
GTO new
Torrent new

All new vehicles.

Yep. Definetely gone. No more Pontiac.

That Solstice is barely selling

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.