Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my Lemans over a year ago, the seller said I could have a 400 with it for $100. Months and months went by and I could never get it from him. He said he was too busy and then he just stopped answering my calls. I thought he changed his mind and didn't want to sell it. So I gave up and bought heads and a 4 bbl intake for my 350. He called me Monday out of the blue and said "when can you come get it?". So I got it home this afternoon. Its a '68 400 4 bbl 9790071 XH block with #62 heads. No accessories or brackets and no carb. I can't wait to tear it apart and see what it looks like inside. I'm gonna have to leave it for a while, though. I still have my front suspension to put back together, need to bend my new brake lines, and new fuel lines, and clean up and paint the frame. So my summer is pretty much all planned out.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bear. My curiosity got the best of me and I started taking it apart today. The rocker arms, valves, and the top of the pushrods are very rusty. The inside surface of the heads are ok, though. And the crank wont turn. Its frozen. The cylinders have very little rust. So maybe the bearings are badly rusted. Haven't gotten that far yet. I'll do a little more this weekend.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts