Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Nice article. Thanks.

I'm trying to come up to the same level of knowledge that I had on the Fbody's and my '02 SS that just got replaced by the GTO :cheers

·
Registered
109 Posts
The last editor noted that he had a best et of 13.15 in the Mach 1 and felt that the GTO was capable of the same with stickier tires and better air. From what I saw, the GTO can really use better tires which could easily best the 13.52. I wonder how many "real world" GTOs have done that so far?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I still don't rate a car on the 1/4 mile anyway. I have a 2004 Black/Red M6, and what I love is a cruise down the highway when someone decides to provoke a response they wish they never got. Leaving em in the dust is great with the top end.

I've felt from day 1, the GTO needs wider, stickier tires, but that's also an issue with the IRS (I believe). This is why I'm eagerly awaiting to hear some concrete proof if that GTO concept is ever making it's way to the streets...looks like it's sporting at least 275's for width. In the interim, I'm pondering the Toyo Proxes F4's to hopefully resolve this issue, along with a larger rim, and maybe a 255 width.

Back to what I was saying though, starting off at 65-70 mph then putting your foot to the floor will show many what the real oomph is behind the new GTO. Hopefully within the next few years, they'll get the initial wheelspin issue taken care of...it'd be one less reason for somone to boast about the mustang over the goat. Just remember, the GTO had a higher speed in the 1/4, showing that it'd overtake and leave something behind shortly thereafter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts