Pontiac GTO Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

Premium Member
1972 Pontiac Lemans GTO
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Some very nice looking cars everyone. Here's my '65 GTO Hardtop. Sadly, still a work in process & even that got put on hold a couple of weeks ago. Had to have surgery on my hand. About ready to get busy again. Originally a 4 barrel, 4-speed car, the engine and trans were long gone when I got her. I'm not looking at it as a restoration project, more of a hot rod build. I found a '72 455 HO engine from a Trans Am & had it built as a solid roller, roller rocker, dual quad beast. I put a TH-400 and a 12 bolt rear with 3:90 posi in it, too. I'm keeping all of the original stuff, just for grins & giggles. And no, I didn't find it in this barn, I put it in the barn after converting it into a shop. LOL View attachment 142891 View attachment 142891
The second car is my '62 Grand Prix, 389 tri-power (added), PS/PB/AC/PW car. Pretty nice.
Mine was like that for 6 years lol,anyway it鈥檚 getting there looks like a nice setup 馃憤

Registered
I had two Goats but this one was the best. Don鈥檛 know what I was thinking in 1977 when I let it go in Libertyville Illinois while in the military View attachment 142852 for a family station wagon.I鈥檓 going on 73 now and sure miss this car. It鈥檚 still registered in Illinois by someone.
Great old shots!
The shorts are classic ;) but the can of Dino Juice made me laugh.:)

Attachments

Registered
Some very nice looking cars everyone. Here's my '65 GTO Hardtop. Sadly, still a work in process & even that got put on hold a couple of weeks ago. Had to have surgery on my hand. About ready to get busy again. Originally a 4 barrel, 4-speed car, the engine and trans were long gone when I got her. I'm not looking at it as a restoration project, more of a hot rod build. I found a '72 455 HO engine from a Trans Am & had it built as a solid roller, roller rocker, dual quad beast. I put a TH-400 and a 12 bolt rear with 3:90 posi in it, too. I'm keeping all of the original stuff, just for grins & giggles. And no, I didn't find it in this barn, I put it in the barn after converting it into a shop. LOL View attachment 142891 View attachment 142891
The second car is my '62 Grand Prix, 389 tri-power (added), PS/PB/AC/PW car. Pretty nice.
Great Project! Its gonna be really fun when done. Love the GP. My first car in high school was a 63 Grand Prix 389 4 BBL. Used to peg the speedo with retread tires on the front. Oh, to be young and stupid again! Funny thing, I blew and chunked a tire while racing a 69 Dodge Charger, but it wasn't one of the retreads that blew. It was one of the wider tires that I had in the rear. It was a really nice, clean car from my Aunt, who bought it new and babied it. Sadly, I sold it to my cousin who neglected it and let it go to pot.

Registered
Great Project! Its gonna be really fun when done. Love the GP. My first car in high school was a 63 Grand Prix 389 4 BBL. Used to peg the speedo with retread tires on the front. Oh, to be young and stupid again! Funny thing, I blew and chunked a tire while racing a 69 Dodge Charger, but it wasn't one of the retreads that blew. It was one of the wider tires that I had in the rear. It was a really nice, clean car from my Aunt, who bought it new and babied it. Sadly, I sold it to my cousin who neglected it and let it go to pot.
LOL My first car was a '65 GTO hardtop (not the one I now own). It was a Nocturne Blue, white interior, 4 barrel, automatic car. We rebuilt the engine to juice it up a bit. What was more fun than racing, was was watching guys change their minds. Some guy would pull up next to me and rev his engine as a challenge, and many times after I looked at him and revved mine, he'd keep facing straight ahead and stayed very quiet. The only race I ever lost was to a '69 Road Runner. The guy had a four speed and I had the 2 speed powerglide (great transmission!) and he beat me off the line and I couldn't reel him back in. I sold that car to buy my first new car. Are you ready for this? It was a 1974 Vega. Even I laugh at that now, but that 4 banger 4 speed was fun to drive even if it didn't have the HP that the goat had.

Registered
1967 Lemans 1967 GTO parts car
Great old shots!
The shorts are classic ;) but the can of Dino Juice made me laugh.:)
I remember filling the cans up out of the barrel in the service station. Full service we would top off the fluids as part of the service. I had 30W, 10/40 and 20/50 cans at the pump all with spouts in them ready to go. We had a service caddy with all the fluids in it.

Registered
LOL My first car was a '65 GTO hardtop (not the one I now own). It was a Nocturne Blue, white interior, 4 barrel, automatic car. We rebuilt the engine to juice it up a bit. What was more fun than racing, was was watching guys change their minds. Some guy would pull up next to me and rev his engine as a challenge, and many times after I looked at him and revved mine, he'd keep facing straight ahead and stayed very quiet. The only race I ever lost was to a '69 Road Runner. The guy had a four speed and I had the 2 speed powerglide (great transmission!) and he beat me off the line and I couldn't reel him back in. I sold that car to buy my first new car. Are you ready for this? It was a 1974 Vega. Even I laugh at that now, but that 4 banger 4 speed was fun to drive even if it didn't have the HP that the goat had.
I sold my 63 Grand Prix to buy a 75 Firebird. Really enjoyed the Firebird. Built it up with a solid cammed 400 with #614 Ram Air IV heads, Turbo 400, 4.10 gears, Herb Adams VSE suspension. I was living in California at the time (now Texas for the last 22 years), and they implemented new smog laws that required emissions testing every year. No way that thing was ever going to pass, as 1975 was the first year that catalytic converters were used. If I would have bought an earlier year, I might have had a chance. So I pulled the drivetrain and sold the car as a roller. Then I bought a midnight blue 86 WS6 Trans Am T-Top. Now here is what will be more pathetic that you trading your Goat for a Vega. I had two children of my own that I had just won custody of, and I got married to a lady with two sons. I had a sudden need for family transportation that would carry six, so I sold my T/A and bought an 88 Dodge Grand Caravan. It really hurt. I now hang my head in shame.馃槱

Registered
I sold my 63 Grand Prix to buy a 75 Firebird. Really enjoyed the Firebird. Built it up with a solid cammed 400 with #614 Ram Air IV heads, Turbo 400, 4.10 gears, Herb Adams VSE suspension. I was living in California at the time (now Texas for the last 22 years), and they implemented new smog laws that required emissions testing every year. No way that thing was ever going to pass, as 1975 was the first year that catalytic converters were used. If I would have bought an earlier year, I might have had a chance. So I pulled the drivetrain and sold the car as a roller. Then I bought a midnight blue 86 WS6 Trans Am T-Top. Now here is what will be more pathetic that you trading your Goat for a Vega. I had two children of my own that I had just won custody of, and I got married to a lady with two sons. I had a sudden need for family transportation that would carry six, so I sold my T/A and bought an 88 Dodge Grand Caravan. It really hurt. I now hang my head in shame.馃槱
Don't feel too bad. I'll bet there is a large brotherhood of car lovers, male and female, that have similar sad tales of woe. LOL
What part of Cali did you live in? I'm a SoCal guy myself. Born in Long Beach, grew up in Garden Grove, and lived in Anaheim until 2013. Now VERY happily retired in Tennessee.

Registered
Don't feel too bad. I'll bet there is a large brotherhood of car lovers, male and female, that have similar sad tales of woe. LOL
What part of Cali did you live in? I'm a SoCal guy myself. Born in Long Beach, grew up in Garden Grove, and lived in Anaheim until 2013. Now VERY happily retired in Tennessee.
I lived in Oceanside (60 mi south of Anaheim) from birth until age 19. Then moved to Chico (90 miles north of Sacramento) until I was 38. I then moved to the Austin Texas area in 1999 and I am still here and very happily retired as well! I do not miss work one bit!

Premium Member
Not yet Pont but soon I will get her pose at least
Her on a 4 speed yikes it would end up in a transmission shop quick 馃樀鈥嶐煉

61 - 80 of 81 Posts