Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well...that was interesting...

Southbound on the 5 freeway, still on the valley floor just before Grapevine and the long climb into the Tehachapi mountains. It's dark on this stretch of freeway at 5:45 am. Got the cruise control set at 80 in the leftmost lane (having just passed a pickup truck in the center lane), the Wall Street Journal Report playing on the XM radio. Coffee is hot, all is well. I glance in the rear view to make sure nobody is coming up fast.

Suddenly a shape looms at me. Huge and stopped fecking dead. The truck I had just passed was there, but I figured I had just enough room to zip over provided I stay the hell off the brakes. I was successful...w00t.

I was only able to identify WTF it was as I came by it...two pickup trucks had apparently attempted to occupy the same piece of airspace at the same time. A dark colored pickup had apparently slammed into the back of a lighter-colored one hard...the nose of the rearmost truck splattered over the crumpled and twisted bed of the hittee, hard enough to apparently destroy the battery as there were no lights at all. I also saw out of the corner of my eye a migrant worker standing in the middle of the fast lane, waving one of those woven white cowboy hats, directly in front of the wreck. Dumbass!

Scared the sh1t out of me, it did. If I would have been unable to clear the lane change, there would have been no way to make almost two tons of rolling Goat stop in time. Not a chance. Not with the puny brakes Holden nailed to the axles in the '04. The shoulder was taken up with wreckage as well, so that was not an option. I would have squished Pedro like a tube of Crest.

I looked back as I came by just in time to see a flame erupt in the remaining nose of the rear pickup truck.

I contemplated stopping, but remembered that the CHP substation was just a few hundred meters up the road. I called 911.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to buy a new pair of BVDs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Good writeup Groucho. I experienced something similar a few years ago, but it was nighttime and I was not the driver. The (professional) driver opted for the median as he accelerated past the (invisible) wreck in the middle of the road. We managed to get by but we all needed new BVDs afterwards. We had been riding in a beast of a SL500 Merc. It barely shuddered as it was put through the maneuvre.

Glad everything worked out alright for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Every once in a while I come up on one of those, usually at 80+ and it freaks me out every time. Glad to hear the goat escaped harm. A little leather cleaner will take that stain right out! :D

·
Registered
304 Posts
WOW. I was reading that and it reminded me of a few scenes in the movie Days of Thunder when there were cars piled up in wreckage on the track and he had to maneuver the car through the smoke and guessing what lane to change in to avoid the accident.

Scary stuff...glad you and the goat made it through.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I just came up on a Mercedes C class that had lost a wheel. It was dark, but several people ahead of me had hit their brakes and swerved, so I had slowed way down before I got to it. Still scared me to see this car stopped in the middle of three lanes. I pulled way off to the side hit the flashers and was about to call 911 when a police car showed up so I left.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's scary to see all the stuff that happens on the commute for those of us that go in before the sun comes up. Up here in Michigan we seem to have the same problem only with the larger breed of vehicle's - the Semi trucks. They seem to want to occupy the same air space beetween them selfs as well as us smaller vehicles. Just yesterday there was a rolled over tanker truck that closed off the highway for hours while they uprooted the thing and they are saying that it will take days to clean the mess up. I just hope I can keep myself between them big monsters on my commute cause I've seen some pretty nasty crashes latley.

I'm glad to hear you are ok and I can feel the warmness that came to your shorts :eek: :eek: :cheers

·
Registered
556 Posts
This happened years ago, but I'll share. Back in '94 me and my wife were going through a leadership class at Ft Sam Houston here in San Antonio, and we were running late for morning formation. I was driving a '92 BMW 325i (stock, except for a Koni suspention kit) and had a friend of mine that worked at BAMC in the car, we were going to drop her off at the Hospital. It was O-dark-thirty and I was flying up Eisenhauer (2-lanes each direction, no light posts whatsoever) trying to make some time. I'm in the outside lane, and was just passing a pick-up truck which was in the inside lane. The road bends left a little, but you can take it pretty fast. I think I was at about 85mph or so, when when my lights illuminated a stalled car parked right infront of me! :willy: No flashers or anything. The pick-up driver saw it too, and graciously allowed me to move over infront of him. I was reminded that driving like an idiot can cost you, and inocent folks, dearly.

·
Registered
81 Posts
A few years ago my dad was driving the family, (my brother in the passenger seat, my mom and I in the back) to dinner, and we were coming around a section of 15-501 which I particularly like. It is a smooth left turn with a huuuge bank, great for performance driving. We were in our v6 BMW X5. Roughly at the apex of the turn is a road that ends into 15-501 with a stop sign, coming from the high banked edge. As we are coming around the bend (which despite its bank has NO blind spots) I see a car pull up to the stop sign fast...way to fast. It blows straight through it basically right on top of us. I am not sure how we missed it since we were literally in front of it, but my Dad swerved into the left lane, into oncoming traffic, and then back into the right lane. The other car dissapeared, having made a left and blown out of there. I will never doubt the BMW dynamic stability control again in my life...inCREDIBLE handing!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.