Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well went and took another look at the neighbors 70' GTO. I have PHS and it's originally a 400, 4-spd, yellow with black vinyl top, cream interior, standard options nothing special. As it sits now all mechanicals frame and interior are restored, new gas tank and internals, new Body bushings, 2.5" exhaust, ceramic hooker headers, full Hotchkiss stage 2 kit (springs, shocks, A arms front and rear sway bars, rear links). Took a magnet to the body today, I think there are three areas that i am suspect of but they are all in what would be simple lower panel patches the quarters are new there are two dents on the B pillars where a ladder fell on it. Pans and trunk are perfect, doors and rocker sills are A-1. Supposedly he found this car in mid michigan in a barn. I am linking the photobucket for all pics, but heres a few. Motor is .30 over 455 with 6X-4 heads, less than 500 miles on it. Forgot, professionally built TH400 w/manual valve body and B&M ratchet shifter, professionally built 10 bolt 3:55 Eaton posi, strange axles, tubes welded

Value your opinions on what you think it's worth in todays market before and after completion. It's too far gone from original, so it would be finished resto-mod in the carousel red , I know, i know, the wheels have to go so 17" billet Bandit Rally II style wheels, Judge stripes? I also have a standard bore year correct 400 block in the shop ready for rebuild so that would be an option.

70 GTO Judge Clone Photos by instg8ter | Photobucket

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
As it sits, I'd value it at around $8k to $12k. With all the defects you mentioned taken care of (regardless of which engine) I'd put it at $27k to $29k, maybe more depending on quality of the work and "curb appeal" (good color, good paint, everything all "sparkley"). Getting significantly higher than that would probably require the car to be 100% numbers matching, correct color and trim, etc.

It does look like a nice car in the photos. Getting to the back side of those dents might be a challenge due to the inner structure there, but you could work them pretty well with a stud gun if you can't. Something's up with the bottom corner of that door, too.

Bear

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah Bear the drivers door was one of the iffy spots, from the inside the skin seams are nice (see photobucket pics at bottom), be interested to get the door panels off and see whats behind it. Looks like it would be a pretty easy finish if the numbers make sense. I see a nice low slung pro touring car, maybe put a 5 speed in it.

70 GTO Judge Clone Photos by instg8ter | Photobucket

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Good God, please don't paint it carousel red, that color just looks all wrong on a 70 for some reason. Same with 68 and 69's painted Orbit Orange.

I love Orbit Orange on a 70 with the Judge stripes and the big "surfboard" wing on the back. Now a black 70 judge with the green stripes would be sick done up as a protouring.

And see if he'll sell it cheaper without those out of date billet wheels. They belong on some old streetrod or something, not a GTO.

All personal taste, but I know you'll do it right Instg8tr :D.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
He said the jambs and under hood are Carrousel, i think its actually Orbit Orange and will go with what it is to save having to take it apart again. If i had my choice i like the Paladian silver Like Judges car with the stripes on the 70's. Not looking to get into another full resto but this could be a car to finish off as is with a little equity in it if i can get it for the right price. Yeah the wheels would be going to E-bay/craigslist first thing in lieu of a set of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230928956326?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pretty good numbers Bear, your high buy is where he's at, your low buy would be my first cash offer and i would be willing to split the difference and be in at 10K. Budget would allow for 3K body and paint (less if i tackle it myself), 1K wheels, 1K front and rear disk brakes, 1K incidentals. puts me in complete at 16K, and i was thinking sell at 24K. Would drive it in the meantime of course...:party:....:D

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
I'm at the lower end, as usual, being 'thrifty'. I think 10k would be too much, unless the rest of the car (dash, interior, etc.) is cherry and needs nothing. 8k-9k would be a solid buy, IMO. But, being out here in CA, my pricing could be suspect!! Good luck with it, though.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have no idea what it's worth Brian, but if you do buy it call me BEFORE you list those wheels on Craigslist. I'm not a purist...I like what I like and those babies would look great on my car. They wouldn't be my first choice but they sure beat the heck out of the junkyard snowflake garage rollers it's sporting at the moment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts