Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Z-Bar gripes

836 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  66CHEEVO 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever installed a z-bar with the engine fully installed and mounted to the vehicle? I just married the transmission to the engine and went to install the z-bar and clutch linkage but no such luck. Looks like might have to try unbolting the two motor mounts, tranny mount and raising the engine a few inches so I can shift/ tilt the engine an inch or so and let the pivot balls fall into place.

#2 ·
hmmmm
loosen the nut on the drivers side stud
slide the z bar over stud on the engine
slide the drivers side in the slot
tighten nut ??
it seems I had to take the 2 bolts out of the frame bracket on one repair back in the day
might have been my 67 and jockied it around then remounted it with the zbar slid in

#3 ·
Should not be that hard. Should drop in as BLK69JUDGE stated. If you do all that to have to get the Z-bar in, I might be concerned that once on and drop the engine back into place you are going to put the Z-bar cross shaft into a bind and then you may really have an issue.

Some frame brackets are welded and others bolted. But the bracket should have an open top slot that the outside pivot ball with slip down into and then washer/nut the pivot ball. the engine side will have the pivot ball on the engine and you slip the tube over it first, then the outer pivot ball/nut. Look at the photo for the pivot ball bracket on the frame - open slot.

Might be someone added the manual trans and used a non-factory bracket? May even be welded in the wrong place if added on. Just thinking here. (y)

Post a photo.

Badge Electric blue Rectangle Triangle Fashion accessory

#4 ·
Well shoot. Thanks for the replies gentlemen. My Z-Bar Fram bracket was welded on and does not have the slot as shown on Jim's picture. I was tempted to take a cut-off wheel to my bracket and cut my own notch but unfortunately, I don't have the clearance to get my grinder in the right angle. At this point I'm going to give raising my engine off the motor mounts and nudging it over 1/2". Fingers crossed this works.

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Well shoot. Thanks for the replies gentlemen. My Z-Bar Fram bracket was welded on and does not have the slot as shown on Jim's picture. I was tempted to take a cut-off wheel to my bracket and cut my own notch but unfortunately, I don't have the clearance to get my grinder in the right angle. At this point I'm going to give raising my engine off the motor mounts and nudging it over 1/2". Fingers crossed this works.

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk
Maybe your car started life as an auto!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.