Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Rukee, that used to be the case. Now you need it in your engine oil at all times. The oil companies removed the ZDDP from their oils iin 2006 to comply with new federal emissions regulations: worn out, oil burning cars with cat converters were experiencing cat failure from the zddp, which is mostly heavy metals. If you're running a flat-tappet cam and not a full roller set-up, you need it. You can run Delo or Rotella diesel-spec oil as well....it still has Zddp (for now). I run the Rotella 15/40 with a zddp additive. Google ZDDP for more info.

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Shell makes a blend with it in Rotella and it's about the same price as the others. I run it to be safe. No doubt on the benefits. In my opinion, you're silly if you don't run it.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
A fellow at a local car show showed me the oil he uses for his 68 El Camino...

Valvoline Racing Oil 20W50 with HIGH ZINC.... 4.99 a quart. That's cheaper than adding the ZDD at 10.00 a bottle.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This was off Amazon's website that you posted:
"New ashless anti-wear additives combined with ZDDP provide ultimate wear protection"

Does that mean they're recommending using zddp in addition to the oil?

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
This was off Amazon's website that you posted:
"New ashless anti-wear additives combined with ZDDP provide ultimate wear protection"

Does that mean they're recommending using zddp in addition to the oil?
The zinc is in the oil already so adding ZDD plus extra is not necessary as the oil has it in already.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks guys, after reading this thread I found Valvoline Vr-1 Racing Oil for $3.89 bottle at Advance Auto and Auto Zone in Flint, MI. Never would have known about this without this forum.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts