Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was wondering the same thing.? Although, the piece was favorable to the GTO, I don't think they were especially enthused by the challenge.

My thought is I don't think they really knew how the car should have been launched. It certainly does well in drifting, but each (qtr mile run and drifting) has it's own distinctive application.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
JMVorbeck said:
It was obvious they left the T/C system on. A terrible thing to do when trying to launch this car for best 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.
I've launched mine with the t/c on and off at the drag strip. I'm able to get a fair amount of wheelspin with the traction control on. My previous F-bodies and my Z06 were at least a half second slower through the 1/4 with the t/c on. This car it's more like 1-2 tenths slower. I may not be launching hard enough with the t/c off, but I've gotten 2.0 and 2.1 60' times with the t/c off and a very consistent 2.1 with the t/c on.
I'm not sure what they were doing on their accelaration runs, but they sure did not get the numbers they should have for those cars.

·
Registered
937 Posts
fergyflyer said:
I've launched mine with the t/c on and off at the drag strip. I'm able to get a fair amount of wheelspin with the traction control on. My previous F-bodies and my Z06 were at least a half second slower through the 1/4 with the t/c on. This car it's more like 1-2 tenths slower. I may not be launching hard enough with the t/c off, but I've gotten 2.0 and 2.1 60' times with the t/c off and a very consistent 2.1 with the t/c on.
I'm not sure what they were doing on their accelaration runs, but they sure did not get the numbers they should have for those cars.
The problem is, when the T/C senses wheelspin in this car it dumps the throttle (05 with electronic throttle, no idea how the 04 works) and does not immediatly bring the power back on when it has successfully dampened the wheelspin. It gradually reapplies full throttle. The amount of time it takes for this whole process is definatly not what you want to have happen at the track. If you are trying to make timed runs, do what the pros do, ditch the TC and learn to launch the car with the clutch and accelerator. You wont find TC in any dragster.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
JMVorbeck said:
The problem is, when the T/C senses wheelspin in this car it dumps the throttle (05 with electronic throttle, no idea how the 04 works) and does not immediatly bring the power back on when it has successfully dampened the wheelspin. It gradually reapplies full throttle. The amount of time it takes for this whole process is definatly not what you want to have happen at the track. If you are trying to make timed runs, do what the pros do, ditch the TC and learn to launch the car with the clutch and accelerator. You wont find TC in any dragster.
I think they have developed better traction control systems that do not take away as much power for the LS2. My LS1 and LS6 cars lost tons of power and there was a large difference between T/C on and off. This car is definately different. I have a run (can't find my time slip) a time that was real low 13's with the traction control on. I try 6 passes with each car I own at the track to see what the traction control does. I run 3 with it on and 3 off. With my LS1 cars there was a half second difference, the LS6 car was almost a second with this car it is 1-2 tenths.
The point here is I don't think the poor times here can be attributed to the T/C, but more the driver.

·
Registered
937 Posts
fergyflyer said:
I think they have developed better traction control systems that do not take away as much power for the LS2. My LS1 and LS6 cars lost tons of power and there was a large difference between T/C on and off. This car is definately different. I have a run (can't find my time slip) a time that was real low 13's with the traction control on. I try 6 passes with each car I own at the track to see what the traction control does. I run 3 with it on and 3 off. With my LS1 cars there was a half second difference, the LS6 car was almost a second with this car it is 1-2 tenths.
The point here is I don't think the poor times here can be attributed to the T/C, but more the driver.
You may be very good at launching your GTO. Do you allow any wheelspin in your launch with the T/C on? If you dont then the system is transparent and you wont see any involvement from it. I think that if you spin some at launch, you will see a major difference between T/C on and off times.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
JMVorbeck said:
You may be very good at launching your GTO. Do you allow any wheelspin in your launch with the T/C on? If you dont then the system is transparent and you wont see any involvement from it. I think that if you spin some at launch, you will see a major difference between T/C on and off times.
I only allow a moderate amount of wheelspin with the t/c on or off. What is weird is it will spin a good bit with the t/c on. T/C stuff lights up on the dash, but unless it's stupid spinning, it doesn't feel like it is doing anything. The car still pulls hard and continues to moderately spin. Anything stupid like a hard clutch drop causes the nanny to slap the power hard, or if I hit it in the rain it cuts in real quick. It's almost like it knows that I'm on a good surface and trying for maximum forward motion, like it is reading the surface. Maybe it measures motion of the front wheels and G's from accelaration to determine if it should step in. All I know is it isn't bad. I almost always drove the Camaro with the t/c off. The Z06 had a competition mode that was stability control without the t/c and that was what I used on it. This thing, unless I'm at the track it's t/c on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.