Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to put the Goat in to a shop yesterday,as I want someone with a lift and time to finally fix the stupid, poorly engineered B&M shifter for hopefully the final time. I've had the damned thing in and out three times now, and I'm done screwing with it. I took it to Guldstrand Motorsports, a well-known Corvette shop here in Burbank, owned by a nice a very accomplished gentleman named Dick Guldstrand. Seriously, look this guy up or go to http://www.corvettethunder.com/ . These guys are also going to do my suspension install BTW- their specialty...they were all excited over seeing a GThOlden in their amazing shop.

But I digress.

They weren't going to have it done by the end of the day yesterday, so...what to do?


My high-level boss here has a rare 1993 Corvette ZR-1 40th Anniversary edition that he keeps here but rarely, if ever, drives. The shop manager keeps it maintained mechanically, but it is in need of some serious TLC.

For the edification of Great Unwashed, the ZR-1 has the very advanced (for GM) LT-5 405 hp monster engine that was built by Mercury Marine- the only DOHC ever put in a Vette.

A while back, I suggested to him that he should let should let me drive it sometime to compare and contrast with the Holden. "Anytime," he said. I've never taken him up on that.

Until last night.

Since I was carless, I asked him if I could borrow the old girl to get home tonight-- remember that home is ~120 miles away.

"Fine with me," he said.

w00t!



Impressions after just spending 235 miles in the ZR1:

Fast car..keep in mind it was rainy, and my radar detector was in the GTO (I felt soooo nekkid!), so I couldn't really open her up.... well, not as much as I'd like to, anyway... :secret:

Uncomfortable seats, noisy, brutal, but that's part of the fun. This made me appreciate the almost effortless smoothness and refinement of our Holdens, but there is a lot to be said for the rawness and visceral "Holy crap, this is a street-legal race car!" feeling of the ZR1.

The various rattles and squeaks are many...not to be totally unexpected from a fairly exotic 13 year-old car with 40k on the clock.

Fast. Wow.

Incredible handling as well, when PERF is selected on the suspension selector...light years better than any other C4 I've driven.

Wow. Fast. That sound....like no other GM product...That geared-cam engine sounds sooooooo sweet...far more BMW Dinan 545i than LSx.

And fast. :burnout:

The ZR1 would get old in a right hurry as a daily driver...but as a second car...woah, am I becoming a GM head just as they are about to go off of a cliff? :eek:
 
G

·
As impressive as that car is, unfortunately it wasnt designed for drag racing, it was designed to sit at 180 all day, under any condition, and not complain!

Besides, the LS6 motor walks all over it.

I got movies on my site!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
big_mike said:
As impressive as that car is, unfortunately it wasnt designed for drag racing, it was designed to sit at 180 all day, under any condition, and not complain!

Unfortunately it wasn't designed for drag racing??? That's the car's strength!!


Sorry- I have no patience for the drag-race-only crowd. Going fast in a short straight line holds all the interest of catagorizing belly-button lint for me.

big_mike said:
Besides, the LS6 motor walks all over it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,541 Posts
Groucho said:
Unfortunately it wasn't designed for drag racing??? That's the car's strength!!


Sorry- I have no patience for the drag-race-only crowd. Going fast in a short straight line holds all the interest of catagorizing belly-button lint for me.



Holy crap Groucho, you look sooooo much better in this picture! :lol: Seriously, in a drag race I've seen the newer Z06 walk a ZR1... but then again you don't like drag racing now do you.
 
G

·
I see another debate brewing, and I am not Drag Race only, im RACE only. Be it drag, circle track, autocross, whatever.

I will find proof and get back with you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GTODEALER said:
Holy crap Groucho, you look sooooo much better in this picture! :lol: Seriously, in a drag race I've seen the newer Z06 walk a ZR1... but then again you don't like drag racing now do you.
I have no doubt a new, 505hp, LS7-equipped Z06 will suck the stupid hideaway headlights out of the 405hp ZR1.

Less sure an LS6 will do same.
 
G

·
Groucho said:
Less sure an LS6 will do same.
so you dont know for sure, willing to bet your life on it, and your gonna dispute the fact with ME? A guy who has been dragging and racing all forms for 15 years and has seen what is and is not possible?

Come on groucho, give me a little bit of respect....... jeez. I have never spoken a lie on this board and never will.
 
G

·
Take a look here:

http://dragtimes.com/Chevrolet--Corvette-Drag-Racing.html

And see results of real people with these cars.

a typical ZR1 ran low 13's high 12's at 112-114
a typical Z06 ran low 12's high 11's at 116-120
the new Z06 ran a 11.6 @ 126 as tested by MotorTrend.

No Z06 can run as long, as fast, or as easily as a ZR1 when it comes to doing the SilverStateClassic. That is what the ZR1 was designed for.

I can pull the original test from Car and Driver, MotorTrend, or whoever else to prove my point. As quick as your ZR1 felt, drag racing was NOT its forte. The motor was built by Lotus to run all day, every day, at 7000rpm, and never wimper.

Hi.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
big_mike said:
Take a look here:

http://dragtimes.com/Chevrolet--Corvette-Drag-Racing.html

And see results of real people with these cars.

a typical ZR1 ran low 13's high 12's at 112-114
a typical Z06 ran low 12's high 11's at 116-120
the new Z06 ran a 11.6 @ 126 as tested by MotorTrend.

No Z06 can run as long, as fast, or as easily as a ZR1 when it comes to doing the SilverStateClassic. That is what the ZR1 was designed for.

I can pull the original test from Car and Driver, MotorTrend, or whoever else to prove my point. As quick as your ZR1 felt, drag racing was NOT its forte. The motor was built by Lotus to run all day, every day, at 7000rpm, and never wimper.

Hi.

What year ZR1? The '93 had ~40 hp more than the previous years, IIRC.

And the motor was designed by Lotus, but built by Mercury Marine.

You are absolutely right about the ZR1 being primarily a road race car...which in my book is a major strength.
 
G

·
the early models debuted with 375hp, then in 93 I believe, it got bumped to 405 and stayed there til 95 when it met its demise.

so you agree that drag racing is not its strength?

Groucho says "Unfortunately it wasn't designed for drag racing??? That's the car's strength!! "

then Groucho says "You are absolutely right about the ZR1 being primarily a road race car...which in my book is a major strength."

Mike thinks Groucho had too much coffee this morning. :D lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,541 Posts
big_mike said:
the early models debuted with 375hp, then in 93 I believe, it got bumped to 405 and stayed there til 95 when it met its demise.

so you agree that drag racing is not its strength?

Groucho says "Unfortunately it wasn't designed for drag racing??? That's the car's strength!! "

then Groucho says "You are absolutely right about the ZR1 being primarily a road race car...which in my book is a major strength."

Mike thinks Groucho had too much coffee this morning. :D lol
Uh oh..... your picking on Groucho... I wouldn't do that if I were you, he makes people cry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
NO he was saying that not being designed for drag racing is the cars strength. ZR1's are sweet no matter HOW you look at it. But I agree that an 02-04 Z06 could run circles around it, but nothing beats lifting the hood and seeing those 16 intake runners staring at you, and having people that "know" come up to you and say, "Is that a REAL ZR1? SWEET!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Haha, yeah it took me a couple readthroughs to get it too.

But if you want to bring your ZR1 up to par around these parts you head to these guys. http://www.sgvette.com/
It is seriously the nicest shop EVER!! You can eat off the floor, between the ZR1's, Vipers, and the C5R motor (don't know if it is still there, but it was for a while). Crazy to have such a sweet shop in Thomasville, Ga.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Thats how SGV is. They are really expensive, but some bad cars come outta there. That is where we go to dyno. Even that is a little more expensive than usual $65 for 2 runs with a groups of 3 or more and $15 for each additional run, but as everyone says, half of that is just the cost of admission. :D
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top